Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Papillio Question

Posted by Indiana.Matt 6a Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:47

I just got my first Papillio last week...I am so excited! I read that it is evergreen and does not need to go dormant.

Is this true?
How do you grow your Papillio?

Thanks,
Matthew
Indiana.Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Papillio Question

Matt,

Congratulations on your first papilio! I have several pots of them and they always grow as evergreen. They will at some times drop many of their leaves but will always keep some. When they do go into ''their rest period with leaves'' just be careful not to over water them. I treat mine just as I treat all my other hippies with perhaps not as much sun. Sometimes I will put one or two pots outside for the summer and when I do I put them in dappled sun or part shade. They will do just fine in the house all summer also as the NBF finds them a tasty meal. I feed them as I do my other bulbs and just remember they can be very finicky about when they decide to bloom so don't give up. They love to produce offsets so in no time you should have a whole pot of them and I don't separate mine. When you find the right mate for them they also produce huge healthy seedpods full of healthy seeds.

Most all of us on this forum grow many papilios so we all have our different ways of trying to make them happy. This is just what I do for mine. Good luck,

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here