Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

First seedling from Elizabeth (Florida) to bloom in Vietnam

haxuan
14 years ago

This is the first seedling that I grow from seeds given by Elizabeth (Ann) back in Summer 2007.

{{gwi:386932}}

Another of the seedlings is having a scape as well, but not as tall yet. These seedings have the tendency of producing numerous offsprings even very early in their life!

{{gwi:386933}}

I'm so thrilled waiting to see what color it is. When it's fully open, I will post update photos and hopefully, Elizabeth can help me re-locate its ID.

Thanks for looking.

Xuan

Comments (20)

• mikey33
    14 years ago

Nice. I really like the plant in the background in the first pic. Is it a Sempervivum? And your Crassula is gorgeous too. Sometimes I am envious of people who live in warm climates and can grow outside year round. I just let my dog out and it's minus ten degrees and blowing wind and snow. I like your pictures.

• paxfleur
    14 years ago

Xuan, it's nice to see you posting again. Do you have records of the parentage of this cross? I'm sure Ann will be happy to see that the offspring of her crosses will be blooming soon. She's been busy with school lately so hopefully she'll drop by and comment when she has a moment. Please update us when it opens. I'm excited for you. :)

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paxfleur, thanks for checking on my post.
    I got some seeds from Cindee and Ann in summer 2007, while I was still in the US. Of course, both of them named the seeds, but when I moved back to VN, I mis-placed their labels. I really hope that when Ann sees the bloom, she can recognize her plants.
    Sure I will post again when the plant opens. You know I'm waiting anxiously for this.

Xuan

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

Oh!

I will wait anxiously, as well.

Xuan, I truly do not remember all the crosses because I made so many that year. My first thought, in looking at the buds, is Exotica. I know that I had quite a few that year and made many crosses with them. I lost them all due to the Spanish moth caterpillar. That was the first and only time that I experienced this horrible creature that devours Amaryllis. I must have picked and squashed about a hundred of the tiny creatures.

I am thrilled and can't wait to see the photos of the bloom.

BTW, I am in Alabama, near a town called Bayou La Batre (Forest Gump) and yes, school keeps me busy. I have quite a few Vietnamese students and they are quite smart.

Ann

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Xuan, how exciting that seeds you carried home and planted are ready to bloom! We're all awaiting pictures of the flowers soon.
    Alana

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    14 years ago

Xuan, How exciting!! I can't wait to see that first blossom, it looks so large and healty!! Great pictures and we will all wait with anticipation to see your first flowers, just as excited as if it were mine!!
    Donna

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

Oooh! I can't wait to see that bud open. It makes my mouth water for lovely peachy colors!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mikey33: I overlooked your post, I'm sorry.
    The plant you mentioned in the first photo is not a semp. I think it's a kind of sedum but I don't have the ID, sorry though.
    Yes, I can grow outside thoughout the year. But sometime, I've found it "boring" to have the same landscape all the time :-(. I want to have 4 seasons like you guys, when I can see plants dormant and get up again. Guess, one is never satisfied with what he/she has.

Thanks everyone for looking at my photos and nice comments.

Hi Ann, I'm glad you've found Vietnamese students smart. Enjoy your school.

Xuan

• mikey33
    14 years ago

Hehe...My first thought was Sedum. It's really nice though. And yes you are right....one is never satisfied, because I would trade you places for your climate ANY day. The winter and snow are just too long for me. We've given thought about moving to Costa Rica....Dreams, dreams, dreams. I spent years in Germany. At least the winters were bearable there. Rainy...but warmer than here. Ahhh to retire to the tropics.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

How exciting!!! can't wait!!!

• Carl
    14 years ago

Mickey: Yes, winters are bearable here. Bearable beeing the keyword ;) Normally all the snow is gone quickly, but I think since the mid-december when it snowed first, it didn't melt like normal. This is really strange for this region but I wound't want to trade this winter for the normal sogging wet and muddy ones we had the years before.

I think the succulent on the picture is Crassula ovata, and a really lovely one!
    Please upload pictures as soon as the blooms are open, this is really exciting. Thanks for sharing!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I left my "cool" garden in Dalat yesterday and brought the plant with me down to my "hot" garden in Saigon. This is how the bud looked like this early morning.

{{gwi:386934}}

{{gwi:386936}}

And now, by lunch time, it has started to open a little bit, like this.

{{gwi:386938}}

{{gwi:386940}}

{{gwi:386943}}

Oh, I'm so so so happy. This is a brand new color in my "boring" collection of NOIDs red.

Thanks a lot to Ann for having given me this wonderful baby.

Xuan

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    14 years ago

Keep the pictures coming, I see some veining inside and it does look like an Exotica cross.....can't wait to see the open flower!!!

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

It could possibly be Exotic Star. I do know that I did a lot of those crosses, but for some reason, I keep thinking that you wanted RED.

My computer at that time is now rather disfunctional, but I will try to get it to work long enough to pull up the emails.

I am so excited. I can't wait to see!

Ann

• haweha
    14 years ago

Keep'em coming, pllllllz *LOL*

The buds are very well shaped. I like to say "like cigars of exquisite proveniences" - and I assume, no I am sure that the shape of them maiden blooms will be FABULOUS!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sir Hans, I started another thread to show off the first blooms on this maiden hippeastrum.
    Please check the post entitled "Here she is - the immigrant from Florida..."

Xuan

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

My apologies for being so slow to respond. My life is in quite a busy state right now.

Your seedling (and it is yours because you grew it) is beautiful and quite special. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Hans-Werner, I am including the link to the bloom and I hope that someone will reply to the latest question about recessive doubles...

Thank you, Hans-Werner for coming back to post. You have taught me so much, and all is appreciated!

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Here she is - the immigrant from Florida...

• haweha
    14 years ago

Thank you!
    Veined pastel - nice color!
    The shape of the flower deserves special interest. It is bell shaped, and this is rare among commercial cultivars.
    I cross my fingers as that the bulb will be capable of producing 2 scape with "4-corner" umbels when it has "matured" one further year!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A few more seedlings from this batch of seeds are going to bloom soon. I will sure post photos of them when they are ready.
    Thank you all for your interest.

Xuan

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

Thank you, Xuan for posting the photo and remembering that they came from me.

It is very special to you and me both. I will be elated to see them.

Please do post the photos of the rest of them as they bloom.

My others are not ready to bloom. They are dormant or semi-dormant because we had had well below freezing temperatures and unusually low highs for January and February.

Like Pat, in Houston, said in another post. I am ready for spring and warmer weather.

Ann

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions