Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aacor11

help needed for mites in Europe

aacor11
11 years ago

Could anyone help me?

My name is Alexandra and I live in the French Alps. I only have one orange hippeastrum bulb that was given to me by my students (I teach English in a school) and some seeds. I really love the plant and I would hate to loose it because it came from the kids and because the flowers are so beautiful!

Since I received it, I read a lot on the forum and I understood that all cheap bulbs are infected with mites. Hot water treatment seems potentially dangerous to the plant...

I have a small baby and I wanted to grow the hippies on the balcony in a tiny greenhouse so I can water them with something against mites. Are there any home remedies effective against mites in case someone only has one bulb and some seeds?

What products are effective against mites in Europe and how often should I use it/them?

Allow me to thank you for your kind help!

Comments (11)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Alexandra,
    The link I provided in your other thread about mites suggested a solution with rosemary oil. While that was for spider mites, things like rosemary and bay leave are supposed to be natural repellents.

Soapy water may also be a good bet.

There are also the natural sprays made from chrysanthemums.

None if those should harm the bulb. It wouldn't hurt to try them.

Good luck!
    Kristi

PS I did the hot water treatment for another problem and the bulbs were fine. There is a specific critical temperature. As long as you can control it, it's very safe and effective.

11 years ago

PSS, Have you seen the mites?
    Most of the conversation on this forum regarding "cheap bulbs" doesn't deal with mites, but rather the fact that many of the cheap "box kit" bulbs show up with the mosaic pattern on the leaves so typical with virus.

A cotton swab dipped in alcohol can kill mites that you see, but since they tend to burrow between layers, you'll need more than that.

Since you will need to bring them inside in the winter unless your little greenhouse has a good heat source, it would be a good opportunity to unpot and clean up the bulb. Removing all the outer brown layers will give mites fewer places to hide. A sharp cut across the bulb's neck that is then dusted with flowers of sulfur will also help in keeping the bulb clean. I don't know how much maintenance you want to do, but keeping them clean and renewing or replacing the soil can also keep gnats down. These aren't carefree are they?!

Again, good luck!
    K

• fishing_dentist
    11 years ago

Hard stuff, because You grow them on the balcony, is possible.
    Search for "Milbeknock"! on ebay or other pesticide- sources. (Gardencentres)

• aacor11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Kitty,

I haven't written any other thread o mites... at least I can't find it with google. Do you still have the link?

Thank you very much to everyone for their kind help on organic ways to deal with mites.

To share my 2 cents findings... the flower shop recommended "rapeseed oil" and sulphur... Does it have to be rapeseed oil or any oil would be allright? If I put it on the leaves wouldn(t it block respiration? (I suppose from that point of view it is harmfull) As I just have 1 bulb the amount of work needed to clean its leaves daily is not that significant if this would help save the bulb.

Thank you everyone! You are a great team. I promise to come back and let you know what solutions I found and what happened.

I am still unsure how I could control water temperature in the oven in order to avoid cooking the bulb. The poor plant would probably have to loose its leaves before the treatment?

Sounds quite sad.

No sign of virus so far on leaves.

Big hug to you all!! And thank you again for your kind help!

11 years ago

Alexandra...it's Kristi, and yes, you asked if watering with methylene blue would kill them!
    :-)
    K

• aacor11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I forgot. Sorry Kristi... it was 5 AM and I was not very awake probably. *ups...*

I found a long list of extracts and plants used to fight mites and I hope I am not wrong by posting the link here in case someone wants to try and search for them.
    http://orgprints.org/view/type/conference%3D5Fitem.doclang.html

If I was wrong, I will post a list with what I am planning to try myself (probably next week because I am still trying to decide what to use).

11 years ago

I know you are concerned about safety because of the baby, so I was really surprised that you started with methylene blue!!!

Good luck!
    Kristi

• aacor11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought methyleen blue was relatively safe for humans as it is used to treat fish and it was used to treat humans not so long ago. It is toxic for the kidneys (in some amounts or for regular usage) and it stains terribly... Anyway, my baby wouldn't touch the flowers and breathing in what has evaporated should be non significant; am I wrong?

would neem be toxic too?

PS
    Thank you so much for the link!!
    I thought bleach was toxic to the plants for regular usage. What dilution do you use? (I am planning to regularly fill in the crevices between the leaves and wipe the leaves with something to kill or reduce the number of mites)

• aacor11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My bulbs were rotting away before I could set up the oven and thermometer or heat equipment so I decided to go for the dimethoate... I guess it will work allright on the balcony. Sorry... I will post results after the hot air treatment

• aacor11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dimethoate not available yet... so maybe I won't be able to treat with that.

• salpal
    11 years ago

Alexandra, not all cheap bulbs are infested with the mites. Have you any evidence that your 1 bulb is? If so I would ditch it, a single easily available bulb is not worth all the trouble you are describing, just make sure you put it in the garbage not compost. Then you can grow your seeds worry free. I have 1 bulb I bought this year with strong signs of mite infestation, I am ditching it. You will see evidence of mite infestation, and will know what to look for if you search this site. These mites will not willynilly infect your seedlings unless you expose them to a bulb with mites. I have had very few new bulbs come with mites, I ditch them when I do, and my other bulbs remain mite free (not counting spider mites- not a big problem) No offense, I'm sure you love your bulb, but if you know it has mites ditch it- life will be easier. If it has not shown signs of mites please stop worrying so much, again- life will be more fun. Good luck!
    Sally

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions