Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

Hippeastrums 2012

brigarif Khan
12 years ago

My Hippes have started poping up, 2012 show starts.

{{gwi:387977}}

{{gwi:387978}}

{{gwi:387979}}

{{gwi:387980}}

{{gwi:387981}}

{{gwi:387982}}

Regards

Arif

Comments (41)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

All lovely Arif. Your first one is a stand out and the second one I like too...maybe it's the colorful petunias in the background...

• haweha
    12 years ago

The frilly vittatum-heirloom-Trumpets are eye catching!

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love the white ones with the red markings are those the "vitatum heirlooms"?

• hippiezep
    12 years ago

Very nice - should be a good season

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Keep those photos coming Arif. I also like the first one, but do have a weakness for the frills. I am heading out of town for a few days and should have many more blooms when I return!

Hope you are well. Think of you often!
    Kristi

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a new addition to my stock, this trumpet is only 22months old and has six almost the same size babies.
    The trumpet is 5 inches long and flower is 6 inches broad.
    {{gwi:387983}}

For size comparison

{{gwi:387984}}

Do comment
    Arif

12 years ago

Arif it looks to be very lovely from what I can see from your "small" picture..what happened to the large pictures you used to post? Not to be particular, but enjoying the nuances of the flower is much harder in small thumbnails..I missed the frills on the edges of your vittatum hybrid in your first post because I really couldn't see them until they were mentioned by others!
    That said, your pink and white flower looks lovely..what is the parentage of this one? I can only imagine how lovely your pot will be when they are all blooming at the same time!!
    Keep them coming..I'm hoping before the year is out I may finally have some of my seedlings bloom too!

Donna

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:387985}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Terrific photos of beautiful blooms, Arif, thanks very much for sharing them with us! Do keep them coming!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden March 2012

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some old ones
    {{gwi:387986}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012
    {{gwi:387987}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012
    {{gwi:387988}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Sibling {{gwi:387989}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Gets the pollen of above two, {{gwi:387990}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Arif

12 years ago

THANK YOU ARIF !!

I love the double coraly orange one too!

Donna

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:387991}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012
    {{gwi:387992}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Little Pinky a gift of Lora {{gwi:387993}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Arif

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some more to tax your patience,
    Amaryllis bed coming to life,
    {{gwi:387995}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012
    {{gwi:387997}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012
    {{gwi:387998}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012
    {{gwi:387999}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012
    {{gwi:388000}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Arif

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

I love the pictures of your outdoor beds Arif! I am hoping to have a big outdoor display in a couple years. I'm growing lots of seedlings.

Tell me more about how you manage your bed. How often do you reset/thin? How far apart do you space the bulbs? Do you fertilize? If so, when?

Have you experimented at all with companion plants? I am interested in making a bed that looks much like yours, but would like to have more than one floral display per year. I am thinking that I will mix in lycoris radiata (blooms in fall) and scadoxus multiflorus (blooms in summer). What I'm thinking about is if it would look nice to allow a naturalized look where all the bulb types are intermixed pretty evenly. Or if it would be better to have clumps of each type of plant that are spaced a bit farther apart. My concern with intermixing them evenly is that the hippis might get crowded too fast and require disturbing the other types in order to thin them. Lycoris in particular does not like to be disturbed. Whereas if I use intermixed clumps, then I could more easily dig the hippi clumps as needed. But the display would not be fully solid looking the way yours is. Fun to think about=) Opinions welcome.

Angela

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have experimented a lot.
    Mixing other bulbs with Hippeastrum,
    All other bulbs except Crenums have shorter foliage so get suppressed by the long strap like leaves of Amaryllis and die as they do not get enough light.
    Mixing different varieties of hippeastrums,
    I used to plant them in groups according to variety and I found each variety blooms at the same time and different varieties bloom at different time in the season. To keep the bed alive with some uniformity, now I do mix planting.
    Although I plan to leave them un disturbed for 5 years but so far they got disturbed for one reason or another every 2nd year.
    On re-planting all bulb lets are separated and shifted to another place.
    Mature bulbs are planted 6 inches apart.
    In January I remove the foliage and apply granular NPK 2-1-2 (with micro nutrients) after blooming same is applied in water mix form at twice the recommended PPM (catering for the roots of trees and vines under the bed).
    My plants do get stressed by sun but shades look ugly in the garden.
    Arif

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:388001}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

{{gwi:388002}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

{{gwi:388003}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Arif

• hippiezep
    12 years ago

Beautiful and varied collection of blooms! How long is your flowering season?

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Arif,

You have some real beauties this year, are all these new bloomers?

There is one above that reminds me of 'Giraffe', it's beautiful!!!

Josh

12 years ago

I liked that one too it looks like what a cross between Fairy Tale and Giraffe would look like....especially liked the edges...

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I like them all Arif! I can imagine sitting in your garden and admiring all the blooms while listening to your birds "twitter" (and squawk!).
    Kristi

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did not have any pink so LORA gifted me a small bulb-let. Now I have my own pink, which is larger and more pinkish than Loras.

Loras little pinki on the left. {{gwi:388004}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Josh, The new ones are presented as Seedlings. My bed of seedlings which I expect to bloom, due to late transplanting is now showing scapes. Will be presenting them soon.
    Arif

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

About 50% bulbs of my Amaryllis bed are in bloom.
    {{gwi:388005}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Old faithfulls {{gwi:388006}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Orange In back light
    {{gwi:388007}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

In shade
    {{gwi:388008}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

A pink
    {{gwi:388009}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

Benfica
    {{gwi:388010}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

One of my darlings
    {{gwi:388011}}From Amaryllis 2012-24 March 2012

More to come
    Arif

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous! I especially like that orange one!

Thanks for the great information on how your manage your outdoor bed! Great to know when to apply fertilizer and what kind.

Very interesting that you found that the foliage shaded out other companion bulbs. Crinums are a good idea, I had not considered those. The common landscape ones here are huge - 6 feet plus. But the flowering ones do have much smaller foliage. It sounds like if I want a mixed display, it would be better to do interspersed clumps, kind of like a perennial garden, so that each type of bulb has its own space. Thanks so much for that great information! My first inclination would have been to intermix all the bulb types evenly.

What does removing the foliage in January do? Does it stimulate bloom, or just neaten things up and remove old material that can harbor pests? I have a couple in ground clumps that I experimented with this year, and they had naturally shed most of their foliage by January. Only a couple still had any leaves. I think a lot of it had to do with sun stress. The ones in the shadiest positions retained the most foliage. Happily, the bed that I want to convert to mostly hippis is the place they liked best because it gets dappled light most of the day. As I agree, shades look ugly in the garden.

So enjoying your picture show!

Angela

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cut off leaves in Jan. To clean the beds, expose the bulbs and spray insecticide and fungicides, besides the new leaves look pretty.

The bed as today {{gwi:388012}}From Amaryllis 2012

A few more
    {{gwi:388013}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388014}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388015}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388016}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388017}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388019}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388020}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388025}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388027}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388030}}From Amaryllis 2012

Many more to come.
    Arif

• hippiezep
    12 years ago

Incredible variety of types here. Not sure if I missed the answer somewhere else, but how long is the blooming season over there? Here in Hong Kong it is quite restricted, with most flowering from late March at the earliest to around the end of May.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The bloom period is even shorter here as the spring is very short. The first one bloomed on 24th March it may last till 1st week of May

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Very very pretty new pictures, thanks for sharing them. It's a real pleasure to see your tidy, beautiful beds of flowering Hipps. I love them! Take care and happy gardening!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Your plants make me want to cross my Hippeastrum, I know they'd never look like yours tho :(

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joshy, Why not, they will look even better.
    {{gwi:388032}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388035}}From Amaryllis 2012

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A seedling of 2010, first bloom.
    {{gwi:388037}}From Amaryllis 2012

Arif

• hippiezep
    12 years ago

You have some very interesting phenotypes here. Do you attempt to keep a record of the parents of each one? I try, but there are many forces conspiring to mix up and confuse the process.

• berkeleysgr8
    12 years ago

The outdoor beds of Amaryllis are simply gorgeous! I'm considering converting an area that is currently lawn/grass into a mass planting of bulbs. Seeing your growing areas is an inspiration! What a gorgeous show of blooms!

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are so many, many alike but different.
    You must be fedup by now, so i close with the latest bloom.
    {{gwi:388039}}From Amaryllis 2012

Arif

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Wonderful display Arif! So much variety in the blooms. Thanks for sharing the pics, and for the information on culture. You've inspired my designs for my outdoor beds=)

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The show end with,
    {{gwi:388040}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388041}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388042}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388043}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388044}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388045}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388046}}From Amaryllis 2012
    {{gwi:388047}}From Amaryllis 2012

The End
    Arif

• joshy46013
    11 years ago

Arif,

That last one is very beautiful, do you know the parentage?

How often do you have to water them where you are?

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

I see someone collected pollen from that Papilio... some of the stamens were removed (I'd do the same... that pollen is precious)! *smile* I'm surprised it doesn't appear that the stigma of that bloom was dusted with pollen... perhaps you were wanting to enjoy the bloom's beauty before hastening it's end. Good luck with this year's crosses! -Tina

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your season of bloom with us. I am overwhelmed with the abundance and variety of blooms. Glad to have your posting to return to for inspiration.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your season of bloom with us. I am overwhelmed with the abundance and variety of blooms. Glad to have your posting to return to for inspiration.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all
    Joshy, by now everyone knows I do not care about the parentage so keep no record. I used to call them my Mongrels.
    Watering depends on the season, these days it is hot and dry so I flood them at least once a week.
    Tina, the pap did not accept any pollen and the others did not accept his.
    This year I have pollinated for large flowers, doubles and for more than 4 flowers on a scape.

Arif

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is it the last of the season?
    Every time I consider it to be the last, a new one appears. This one was struggling to bloom in the hottest dry period of the year in my seedling bed of May 2010.
    {{gwi:388048}}From Amaryllis 2012

Next season it is going to be a beauty

Sponsored
More Discussions