Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

Lil Pinky

brigarif Khan
13 years ago

I had no pinks. Cindee A sent me some seeds and two small bulb-lets, Candy Floss and a bulb-let from Lora labelled Lil Pinky. Candy floss did not survive, the Lil Pink bloomed last year as well as this year.

May be it is climatic change, because I see no pink in the blooms of both years.

{{gwi:388082}}

2010 Bloom

{{gwi:388084}}

2011 Bloom

{{gwi:388086}}

{{gwi:388087}}

By the way, what in your opinion is the correct colour of the flower?

Arif

Comments (16)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Very lovely flower Arif..I would say this year's color is more to the coral pink side, last year's is a bit deeper..but some might say salmon(y)..which is about the same.. with less orange..? Whatever color you call it, it's very very nice.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Very lovely flower Arif..I would say this year's color is more to the coral pink side, last year's is a bit deeper..but some might say salmon(y)..which is about the same.. with less orange..? Whatever color you call it, it's very very nice.

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Greetings my friend Arif!! I agree your flower color looks most like a Coral-Pink shade. Coral tends to have a bit of orange added to the Pink. Lora Pointer's original Lil Pinky seems to be more bright pink in this photo of hers.
    {{gwi:388088}}From 2010-2011 Amaryllis

I was actually coming in to tell everyone how excited I am that I have what I believe to be Lora's Lil Pinky on my desk and it's blooming for the very first time!! Amazing yours bloomed a whole year ahead of mine. But then, the 3 remaining seedlings that I have are all different sizes...so the genetics must shift in color and size per seed? I don't know for sure. Mine tends to have a more bright or deep pink with a white throat! The back side mid ribs look like in Lora's photo.I will take photos tomorrow as she opens more.

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Pretty blooms Arif and Cindee! How nice you both have siblings. I'll contribute some pinks if someone is sending another package. I still have a few too many Rozettas from last year.

Alana

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I presumed that one I got was a bulb-let and not a seedling. It must be a seedling, as the throat is not the same. Seedlings rarely come true.
    Arif

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Sorry Arif, for the confusion but I got only seeds from Lora. I believe the Candy Floss was the bulblet. Alas, my Candy Floss did not survive either! DANG-I forgot my camera today. My lil pinky looks a lot like Donau on a much more petite scale and with a distinct whitish star forming on the inner midribs. I do not remember who Lora said Pinky's parents were. I do love mine, though especially because it came from a dear person. If anyone sees or talks to Lora anymore, please let her know we are thinking about her.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What ever it is, I like the plant and charish the gift.
    Arif

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Arif, I found this info from some old posts:

Posted by lora_in z5 central IN (My Page) on Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 15:25

(((((Cindeea)))))!
    Those Lil Pinkies were pollinated with Double Record, make sure you have some double pollen on hand when they bloom!"

darn, I have no double pollen...I can't figure where to find it on doubles.

As I remember now the seedlings we have are from seeds with her Lil Pinkie as the Mother and pollen from Double Record. What I sent you were either seedlings or bulblets of these seedlings. They, the original seeds, started producing tiny bulblets off very early before they even produced leaves. Does this make sense? pics to follow.

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Hey Cindee, the pollen on doubles like Lady Jane is tucked into the side of a petal. Sometimes there's just a bit and sometimes there's a bunch. I might be able to get a little off Double Dream (this one was particularly stingy with pollen). Let me know if you'd like me to try (I'll just send you the whole petal).

I've noticed with my seedlings - particularly Red Lion x Blossom Peacock - that they are prone to producing bulblets very early. Strange, but oh well. I guess they just like company.

What was Little Pinky's mom?

Alana

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

My Alfresco blooms actually have anthers with pollen. Some of the petals have pollen as well, but many had actual anthers. I am excited because I love the form of Alfresco and the scent!
    :-)

I have some Red Lion x Jewel, Exotica x Jewel, and Lady Diana x Jewel babies that should bloom next year. Will be interesting to see what they look like!
    Kristi

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Well here is my Lil Pinkie daughter or as I understand Lora's "Lil Pinkie x Double Record" SHE IS SO PRECIOUS AND BRIGHT! (Oh God, I looked at this photo and absolutely love it. Looks like she is hugging the purple hyacynth!)
    {{gwi:388089}}From 2010-2011 Amaryllis

I have to say Arif your color may be a bright pink like mine, with the naked eye...I am just having trouble getting the camera to capture true colors. Mine also comes out more a coral shade, but in person mine is a deep/bright PINK shade rather than coral. I just can't get the camera to tell the truth. I am pollinating one of these with Trentino(a trumpet)...what do you all think about that mix? Arif, it is such a joy to be enjoying sisters of the same created by Lora-God Bless ya girl, wherever you are for making friends and happiness happen!
    {{gwi:388090}}From 2010-2011 Amaryllis

Alana, thanks for your offer. I imagine my blooms will not last long eanough to make it happen. However, if you have a Rozetta to spare I would gladly partake. Maybe Arif can make us a list of what he would like and I can again make a package for him with all our contributions!! Also, alana I know knot what Lora did to create the original Jewel, but I found her email and am going to ask her to stop by!

Kristi, your Jewel combos sound WONDERFUL! I hope they all take!! Please keep us posted. I have a Jewel, I have not tried sexing it...lol

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Rozettas coming your way!

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CindeeA, This one is just like mine. Must be a sibling. This year I will only polinate Yellows,Doubles with mothers having five to six flowers. Thanks
    Arif

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Aww Alana...what can I share with you?

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Cindee, tell Little Pinky's daughter to hold on... Double Dream pollen is coming your way. Hopefully you get it Saturday. Double Dream was a gift from Phoenix Ryan and a gorgeous new variety this year:
    {{gwi:388091}}From Spring 2011

Alana

• cindeea
    13 years ago

WOW WOW Look at that "DREAM"! That is beautiful, Alana, I will be sitting at the front door for the pollen on Saturday!!

Sponsored
More Discussions