Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
supaflyz

I just took these pictures today in my mom garden

supaflyz
13 years ago

I wanted to share some of my mom amaryllis. The white ones are blooming. The red ones are just starting.

{{gwi:388165}}

{{gwi:388166}}

{{gwi:388167}}

{{gwi:388168}}

{{gwi:388170}}

{{gwi:388171}}

Comments (19)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Do you know what kind these are? My neighbor has the same ones. They are just lovely!
    North of Houston...in Spring!
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Wow!! Those are just spectacular!! Would just about die to get one of those..as Kristi says..do you know what these are?? They might be an heirloom..they are very special!!

A drooling,

Donna

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous! Those are really, really pretty. If you have time, would you please take a photo about six feet back so we can see the full effect? I would love to see the whole setting. I bet your mother has one gorgeous yard!

Carol

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I think this is a Nehrling hybrid, many of his varieties are made using H. vittatum as a primary. It's obvious that this is another A.) H. vittatum hybrid OR B.) This is in fact H. vittatum specie!

Josh

*BTW, it's very beautiful* It should be scented?!

13 years ago

Well, supaflyz, you certainly woke everybody up with those pictures..just looked again..just lovely!! Make sure.. if your Mom ever moves, that you dig those up!!!!

Make sure you post your red ones when they bloom also, I've got a sneaky suspicion those will be something special too.

Donna

• haweha
    13 years ago

These are very, very, very pretty.
    My first thought was "Mead strain" but admittedly my knowledge about heirloom hybrids is sparse. I assume that these are rather original vittatum hybrids.
    Gosh! I want one bulb of these!

• supaflyz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry guys I don't know the name of this particular plant. These were giving to my mom from a lady that lives close to the house. She gave us only one bulb, but now it's all cluster in. She gave us 3 other types. One is all red and tiny star shape. The other red type is huge. Its bigger than my hand. The other one that I added picture today is the common kind, I think. This particular one give rise to many baby bulbs.
    {{gwi:388172}}
    {{gwi:388173}}

13 years ago

Supaflyz,

I wouldn't exactly call these common, these are lovely too! Please keep the pictures comming and..please sniff all of your flowers as they bloom to see if there is any fragrance...

Thanks for posting all your Mom's lovely blooms...and we're all so glad you are enjoying them too!

Donna

• supaflyz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the other ones that my mom has. She has a few other kinds on the ground, but they never bloom. Guess what I found under the plants. I was watering the plants, and some of the water got on this moth. I didn't even see the moth until I was looking towards the ground. Its wings got wet.
    {{gwi:388174}}
    {{gwi:388175}}
    {{gwi:388176}}
    {{gwi:388177}}

13 years ago

Supaflyz

Your orange is lovely, looks like my Naranja..your small red and white striped one I think someone here will ID that for you..I have my thoughts but since I don't have one I'm not sure..I do hope your butterfly/moth recovered from his bath and flew away...

Thanks for posting..I enjoy them all especially the very first one..!

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna, you're exactly right, it's xJohnsonii *the red and white stripped*

They're all beautiful, you're mom is one lucky lady!

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

You say that the striped one is xJohnsonii ? I had only heard them called Saint Joseph's lilies. They grow almost wild here. I have cut those bulbs by mistake and they grew anyway. I have seen those bulbs get almost as large as s soft ball.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Wally,

Yes, the 'technical' name is Hippeastrum xJohnsonii, it was the first recorded hybrid of Hippeastrum! It's a very beautiful plant and I THINK it may be resistant to Mosiac Virus *this I'm not sure on AT ALL, I think I've read this somewhere*

• ChuckCaudle
    9 years ago

I Have managed to Salvage several bulbs from Both white and red St. Josephs and I'm not sure what to do with them! Are they so rare that I can make a little money on them? I have at least 25 very large heirloom bulbs and 40 babies. If anyone is interested in buying one Just shoot m an offer or I would love an awesome trade. I am putting them down tomorrow because they are in full bloom and i'm hoping they won't shock. Any input would be great! Thanks in advance.

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Very lovely colors! I wouldn't call them "common", either! They're uncommonly beautiful!

• sun_worshiper
    9 years ago

Wow - that white one is stunning! Very spectacular. I also agree that the red and white striped one is xjohnsonii. Looks just like mine. It should be very fragrant.

Chuck, the true johnsonii is valuable, mostly because they almost never set seed, so the only way to get them is by getting offsets. Your image is too blurry for me to see properly. But I'm sure you could find a great trade. The plant trade forum on gardenweb is great - just post what you have and what you are looking for. Or I'm sure you could sell on ebay.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures - I love seeing garden heirlooms!

• supaflyz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just learn how to cross pollinate them several months ago. I put some of the seeds in one big planter. The seeds are beginning to germinate. I could see about 20 or 30 of them.

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

It will be interesting to see what comes of your crosses... it's a game of patience, now!

• sun_worshiper
    9 years ago

Well done! Growing from seed is so rewarding!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions