Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just took these pictures today in my mom garden

Posted by supaflyz houston (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 2:18

I wanted to share some of my mom amaryllis. The white ones are blooming. The red ones are just starting.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just took these pictures today in my mom garden

Do you know what kind these are? My neighbor has the same ones. They are just lovely!
North of Houston...in Spring!
Kristi

o

Wow!! Those are just spectacular!! Would just about die to get one of those..as Kristi says..do you know what these are?? They might be an heirloom..they are very special!!

A drooling,

Donna

o

Just gorgeous! Those are really, really pretty. If you have time, would you please take a photo about six feet back so we can see the full effect? I would love to see the whole setting. I bet your mother has one gorgeous yard!

Carol

o

I think this is a Nehrling hybrid, many of his varieties are made using H. vittatum as a primary. It's obvious that this is another A.) H. vittatum hybrid OR B.) This is in fact H. vittatum specie!

Josh

*BTW, it's very beautiful* It should be scented?!

o

Well, supaflyz, you certainly woke everybody up with those pictures..just looked again..just lovely!! Make sure.. if your Mom ever moves, that you dig those up!!!!

Make sure you post your red ones when they bloom also, I've got a sneaky suspicion those will be something special too.

Donna

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 17:13

These are very, very, very pretty.
My first thought was "Mead strain" but admittedly my knowledge about heirloom hybrids is sparse. I assume that these are rather original vittatum hybrids.
Gosh! I want one bulb of these!

o

Sorry guys I don't know the name of this particular plant. These were giving to my mom from a lady that lives close to the house. She gave us only one bulb, but now it's all cluster in. She gave us 3 other types. One is all red and tiny star shape. The other red type is huge. Its bigger than my hand. The other one that I added picture today is the common kind, I think. This particular one give rise to many baby bulbs.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Supaflyz,

I wouldn't exactly call these common, these are lovely too! Please keep the pictures comming and..please sniff all of your flowers as they bloom to see if there is any fragrance...

Thanks for posting all your Mom's lovely blooms...and we're all so glad you are enjoying them too!

Donna

o

Here are the other ones that my mom has. She has a few other kinds on the ground, but they never bloom. Guess what I found under the plants. I was watering the plants, and some of the water got on this moth. I didn't even see the moth until I was looking towards the ground. Its wings got wet.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Supaflyz

Your orange is lovely, looks like my Naranja..your small red and white striped one I think someone here will ID that for you..I have my thoughts but since I don't have one I'm not sure..I do hope your butterfly/moth recovered from his bath and flew away...

Thanks for posting..I enjoy them all especially the very first one..!

Donna

o

Donna, you're exactly right, it's xJohnsonii *the red and white stripped*

They're all beautiful, you're mom is one lucky lady!

o

You say that the striped one is xJohnsonii ? I had only heard them called Saint Joseph's lilies. They grow almost wild here. I have cut those bulbs by mistake and they grew anyway. I have seen those bulbs get almost as large as s soft ball.

o

Wally,

Yes, the 'technical' name is Hippeastrum xJohnsonii, it was the first recorded hybrid of Hippeastrum! It's a very beautiful plant and I THINK it may be resistant to Mosiac Virus *this I'm not sure on AT ALL, I think I've read this somewhere*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here