Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenanen

ID help, please

lenanen
12 years ago

Old story: ordered one variety, got something else instead.

I really love this one, just can't ID it, do any of you?? All help appreciated!!

{{gwi:388802}}

{{gwi:388803}}

The flower is quite big, about 18-20 cm and there is a mild fragrance. Green Apple Blossom?? ;D

I have a feeling it is a very common variety, I just can't put my finger on it...

Comments (9)

• haweha
    12 years ago

You suggest an Appleblossom - I suggest a "Sport" of/from "Appleblossom" I do not know the rate of mutations, on the level of the meristem in bulbs out of twin-scaling (most common form of COMMERCIAL vegetative Multiplication) or most simply: Bulblets (Appleblossom produces a lot) - but mutations effecting visible alteration of the flowers must be occurring every once-in-a-while.

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hans-Werner thank you! Wow!

Now I started to panic, what if I kill it (should start going through names of apples with matching colors...). I'll do my best to give it a long and happy life.

{{gwi:388804}}

Hopefully this one would produce bulblets too. Would it be worth trying to pollinate it? Isn't Appleblossom very difficult to get to produce seed? I have 'Jungle Star' opening...

• haweha
    12 years ago

EXXellent point, to remind me of the Difficulty-in-Seed-Production property of "Appleblossom". IF your specimen does not produce seeds after self pollination or pollination from another TETraploid Hippeastrum THEN I will be inclined to assume all-the-more likeliness of an actual Sport from "Appleblossom"

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

At the moment I have only 'Jungle Star' and 'Santiago' to get pollen from and neither of them is a tetraploid, am I correct?
    So, I will self it, using Donna's method: dabbing pollen on the stigma few times a day for a few days.

I'll report of any progress, success or failure, well, failure in this case wouldn't be a failure...

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Hi Lenanen, If I were you, I would try to pollenate all 3 or 4 flowers..selfing one or two and trying your Jungle Star and or Santiago on the others. Don't be put off trying to match ploidies if you don't have the pollen available..sometimes you might only get a couple of viable seeds. And, since you've got nothing to loose, why not give it a try? In any case, if you've got no roots on your bulb, nothing might work as you've .."usually" got a better chance of maturing seedpods with a rooted bulb..and that said, take a look at my President Johnson with no roots that gave me 8 or 10 flowers and 5 seedpods.. four from which I have harvested seeds (2 about a week ago and 2 yesterday) and I soaked just a couple from last week and they have already sprouted!! Granted, only about half the seeds in any of the pods fully matured.. so, you never know..I was not aware that there weren't any roots until I hit it with my elbow and over it went!!

Here is my once lovely President Johnson still with no roots and what a job she/he did producing viable seedpods!! And by the way, she/he selfed itself, there were so many flowers and so much pollen falling here and there I just thought I'd let this bulb do what it wished. I did not dare to try any crosses as the flowers were so tightly packed...(apologies for the messy cellar)

{{gwi:388805}}

Good Luck and I'm not so sure you've got an Apple Blossom of sorts, the markings look too red to me, ( just my opinion though) but whatever it is, it's very pretty!
    Donna

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna thank you so much for your message and encouraging words and please, please except my apologies for my very late reply, couldn't read messages nor log in to answer them due to those "garden gnomes" and got a bit frustrated and held a break.

Noticed another scape emerging and put the pollination plans on hold for a short while. I decided to enjoy these first flowers and pollinate the second scape instead. Also, I got my Mystery Mix order from Royal Colors! With a little bit of luck I'm be able to experiment with a wider range of crosses... :D

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Awesome to see the seed pods Donna!

Lenanen - I can't identify it either. But I have a mystery bulb that is similar:

{{gwi:388806}}

Mine was supposed to be a xjohnsonii, and you can see the true to type red one in the background. I sent photos of this to the vendor, and while they acknowledged the mistake and send me a replacement that was true to type, they could not id the mystery one either. My mystery one is also fragrant, and has the same fragrance as x johnsonii.

Angela

• lenanen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Angela and thank you! Your mystery hippi indeed resembles mine. It's very nice. Could there be some H.vittatum somewhere... ? - x johnsonii is grand and very difficult to find here. I ordered johnsonii x self seeds from Mauro to get it.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Yes, maybe a vittatum in the parentage somewhere. Great that you got some johnsonii seeds. I've not been successful in getting any of mine to produce seed. But I understand they are reluctant to set seed and easier to propagate by waiting for offsets. Doesn't mean I won't keep trying=) Let us know if you can get yours to set seed. It is beautiful whatever it is.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions