Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agapanthe64

H yugacensis / pollen

agapanthe64
11 years ago

Hello ,

one of my yugacensis is flowering , I'd like to polinate , but I haven't many varieties available , do you think H 'Exotic Star' could be effective , and interesting ?

And does self pollination works on it ?

{{gwi:388835}}

{{gwi:388836}}

Comments (20)

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Bonjour Agapanthe64,

Votre Hippeastrum yungacense est spectaculaire!

I believe that both H. yungacense and the papilio hybrid 'Exotic Star' are diploid. Thus, they should be genetically compatible. However, there are other factors that could prevent successful pollination and/or the production of viable seeds. Many Hippeastrum species are self-sterile, but there is no harm in trying self-pollination unless you are disheartened by failure or you wish to increase the probability of success.

As to whether the cross you are contemplating would be interesting, that depends on what you are trying to accomplish from the cross-pollination. For example, if one of your seedlings produced 3-4 blooms per scape instead of 2 that would be a desirable improvement. If your pollination attempt yields viable seeds, you will need to wait patiently until the seedlings bloom. Then, you will be able to judge if the cross improved on what is already an outstanding flower.

Bonne chance avec la pollinisation.

-Blanca

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Merci Blanca pour les corrections orthographiques !

Oh yes it is a nice hippeastrum, and so easy to grow , and hardy in the garden.

As it is widely available in France I bought several new bulbs this year to attempt to have seeds , as my olds bulbs never gave some, but I am afraid they all are from the same clone.
    You're right , they never have more than 2 flowers per scape , I tried to pollinate with Exotic Star......but this one doesn't give many flower per scape too !
    The only thing that could discourage me is growing dozens of young plants , and get horrible flowers 3 years later !

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Merci Blanca pour les corrections orthographiques !

Oh yes it is a nice hippeastrum, and so easy to grow , and hardy in the garden.

As it is widely available in France I bought several new bulbs this year to attempt to have seeds , as my olds bulbs never gave some, but I am afraid they all are from the same clone.
    You're right , they never have more than 2 flowers per scape , I tried to pollinate with Exotic Star......but this one doesn't give many flower per scape too !
    The only thing that could discourage me is growing dozens of young plants , and get horrible flowers 3 years later !

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

Well, I have to say, this once again confirms that all the years of hybridization have yet to improve upon the real thing......just spectacular and I am amazed to hear you say this is freely available in France. Thanks for sharing a wonderful pic :o) Dan

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Salutations Agapanthe64,

Of course, I try to select crosses that I hope will produce beautiful offspring. I also try to breed for traits that I hope will be inherited by the progeny (e.g., increased number of blooms per scape, fragrance, shape, color, and disease resistance). However, as multigene interactions are involved, surprises are inevitable. I would say that some of the unexpected results tend to be more âÂÂblandâ than âÂÂhorrible.âÂÂ

There are also times when I make a cross because the opportunity to gain information presents itself. This experimentation provides an indication (not certainty) about ploidy, pod fertility vs. pod sterility, and pollen viability.

I would suggest studying side-by-side photographs of the prospective seed and pollen parents (or the actual flowers if they are blooming at the same time) and trying to visualize crosses that might produce flowers that are pleasing to you. This is what I would call the dreaming or planning phase. This first step should be tempered with full awareness that when your seedlings bloom you could observe diverse results through the random expression of all possible combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes in addition to environmental factors, which all contribute to the variability of the progeny.

Il est toujours amusant de jouer comme une abeille. Bon nombre de vos plantules aura des plaisantes surprises.

Cordialement,

Blanca

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A french wholesaler producer of bulbs produces Yugacence , so you can find it easyly....but I am afraid they are all the same clone, I never get seeds the previous years.

That's why I am trying with pollen from Exotic Star , and I will test Cybisters and Papilio on the next flowers , they can't stay without progeny ! but you are right , when you see Kristi's papilio or your Worsleya : what hybrid could be more beautiful ?

Blanca , do you have photo albums, with your work of hybridization ?

Here is a link that might be useful: wholesaler / producer bulbs

• orchids_grower_1946
    11 years ago

Bonjour
    Je suis également un amateur d'amaryllis.
    Ou vivez donc en France?
    Donna va être ravie de pouvoir lire en français.
    Les graines quelle m'a envoyé sont formidable.
    Merci encore Donna.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Well, could someone help me out with the above post. I can understand some of it: They like amaryllis and do I live in France? Or, they live in France and then 2 lines I can't quite get the grasp of and then thanks again, Donna

Is this directed to me or is this poster's name Donna?

Donna

I'm wonder if Beatrice's link would send bulbs to the US..maybe we could get a group order for one variety?? I know, not likely but a good Idea huh?

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a message for you Donna , he lives in France , and you've sent seeds to him. He wants thanks you !

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

I know I took a vow of no new bulbs/plants and I have not gotten a new one in 18 months or so now, but honestly, that is one I would go in on an order for. It is sort of odd in that their catalogue is very mundane with just your standard stuff and all of a sudden there is this unusual bulb. Very lovely :o) dan

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Thank you Beatrice,
    The only person I remember sending seeds to in France was Jojo. Maybe this is he under another name.
    Anyway, Your Very Welcome!!

Donna

• agapanthe64
    Original Author
    11 years ago

you're right dan , you can find it in very ordinary catalogues , at a very low price

Here is a link that might be useful: catalogue 1

• blancawing
    11 years ago

I would be interested in purchasing several Hippeastrum yungacense bulbs. Unfortunately, reading Graines-BaumauxâÂÂs website made it clear to me that they do not ship to the United States. In contrast, it appears that Turcieflor may do so. I have written to them for confirmation, and to inquire about availability, cost for the bulbs, plus costs for shipping and the Phytosanitary Certificate. When I receive a response, I will post an update.

For Agapanthe64/Beatrice: I am so sorry that I didnâÂÂt know your name. You asked if I have photo albums of my hybridization work. Your question may be timely as some newer members may not be aware of why my photos no longer appear on this forum.

I stopped posting photos on GardenWeb because of their Terms of Service (a salient portion of which is shown below). When I realized that by posting photos on GardenWeb I was basically granting iVillage the right to use my photos as they saw fit (even to profit from them) I destroyed all my photo albums; thereby breaking the links to GardenWeb. However, I just found your email address on your GardenWeb page, and I will be happy to send you some photos.

TERMS OF SERVICE FOR GARDENWEB NETWORK

"By submitting content, which shall include your member name, to any "public area" of the GardenWeb Network, including, but not limited to, the forums and your personal website, exchange page and journal, you grant iVillage a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right (including any moral rights) and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, sublicense, assign, derive revenue or other remuneration from, communicate to the public, perform and display the content (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for the full term of any Rights that may exist in such content."

Best,

Blanca

• houstonpat
    11 years ago

Thanks for the Terms of Use Blanca. I did miss that. I really don't know what to make of it... That is; whether I care or not if someone copies my photos.

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

I used to worry about my photos being stolen, and in fact many were used on ebay by total losers incapable of growing and flowering a plant, but I guess I decided life is too short and I would rather share my pics instead of keeping them to myself. I do understand your concern though :o) Dan

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Hi Pat and Dan,

What troubles me is that, by being a member of this forum and simply posting photos on GardenWeb, I was unknowingly granting iVillage the right to use my photos in all of the various ways stated in their Terms of Service. Frankly, I wonder how many GardenWeb users are aware of this easily missed clause. I feel strongly that everyone should know that posting photos here has consequences; of which they may be unaware. For example, iVillage could license any photo posted here to one of the online companies that has already âÂÂborrowedâ photos from our members without permission to sell their bulbs. In that event, there would be nothing that could be done because the simple act of posting a photo on GardenWeb is equivalent to giving iVillage the right to do so. Ultimately, this is a personal decision that each of us needs to make, but hopefully it will be made with full knowledge.

As Dan mentioned, sellers on eBay have repeatedly been guilty of the unauthorized use of photos. However, eBay does have policies in place, which I have successfully used to help others get their photos removed from listings that used their photographs without permission. The process is not complex or difficult.

I do not flatter myself thinking that my photos are great. Neither do I sit around worrying that someone will copy my photos for their own pleasure. Basically, it is a matter of disliking the portions of GardenWebâÂÂs Terms of Service, which in effect state that if I share a photo with my forum friends here; then by virtue of this act I grant iVillage a license.

I truly miss posting here, and have tried to resolve that desire by privately sharing photos. At the same time, easily overlooked legalese that includes terms like âÂÂperpetual,â and âÂÂirrevocableâ is a complete turn off to me. For me, it boils down to wanting a bit of control over my photos, not because they are art but because they are mine.

Regards,

Blanca

• orchids_grower_1946
    11 years ago

I am searching the pollen of nelsonii & coriensis.
    If you have this pollen I will be happy.
    Thank you so much too all of you.
    orchid grower

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

I understand completely Blanca and it is one of the reasons I quit posting for more than a year. Interestingly, I have been approached twice for my pics based on images I posted here. Because of this, I have a picture in an organic chemistry text book that many colleges use. I only asked for a copy of the textbook and think it's kinda cool that I got a pic published like that based on posting here. I admit to spending too much time fiddling with taking pics, but that is almost as much fun as growing the plant in the first place for me so I enjoy sharing. Looking forward to spring and plenty of picture opportunities :o) Dan

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Dan,

That is very cool! Your fiddling with photos is always much appreciated, and I agree that memorializing the blossoms is a great pleasure. By the way, spring has already sprung here in California.

Happy snapping,

Blanca

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

If you upload to an image-hosting place and show them off here, iVillage can not consider those images as something they can use.

So you just have to find an image host that says that your images are yours and they won't do anything without your permission (which probably will be hard to find).

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions