Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstone

At what point do they earn a new name?

dragonstone
12 years ago

I tried the search form but didn't find anything. Have there been any discussion on when a new name can be given to an amaryllis? I know there's lots of people who name their crosses by saying "____ x ____" but at what point do they finally get a name to differentiate them from the others?

Comments (10)

• haweha
    12 years ago

AFAIK this matter is yet to be discussed. On the other hand, everybody is entitled to baptize their Creations ad libitum.
    When I do so, then I provide the auditory with the respective information
    PapDon1 and PapDon2 is H.papilio x "Donau"
    PapDonAmb(1,2,3,4,5) is 5 respective siblings of H.papilio x ("Donau" x "Ambiance") and so forth.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

You can name your plants whatever you want, whenever you want.. I would wait till their maiden bloom to name them accordingly.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I expect to name any of my seedlings that I feel are good enough to deserve a name..the rest will get initials and numbers. Of course I would choose something that hasn't been used to the best of my knowledge..but, so far I haven't had the luxury of having to name any of my seedlings.. hopefully by the end of the year....
    Donna

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, sounds good then! hehe. While looking over Iris, it seems that a lot of people name their Iris pretty quickly and I saw that on the Amaryllis forum, people tend to name them as crosses. I wasn't sure what the rules were. I'm not actively looking to name any of mine, of course! Just curious. :)

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

This is a good question Dragonstone. From my prospective.., Do an extensive web and book search for any other named cultivar which is "identicle" in all ways. The offical process is designed only for large commercial growers through Holland. I use Hans' method for the first few years of blooming until the cross has proven its value and uniqueness. Thus far I have "named" 3. I really feel the proper next step would be to submit accurate discriptions and several photos to the International Bulb Society for publication on their website. Of course there are patents and trademarks. I kinda like the Plumeria Society's process.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

You can go to the KAVB site to see what Hippeastrum hybrid names have been registered.

They have an extensive database (I would get close to about 1500) registered names.

When I registered H. Gordie, there was a form to fill out and I submitted 29 photos documenting every aspect of the blooms. There are other details, as you need to follow the bulb for a few years to make sure that it blooms true and you need to characterize the forcing characteristics, etc.

Kristi

• pupu999
    12 years ago

It seems that is not too easy to register. I do not really understand the way to do.
    Actually, I am not a commercial grower, I wonder if someone can help me to get this registration form to fill out? Thanks.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

There is a link on the KAVB site. I had the form on an old computer, but don't have it anymore.

Go to the site below and request the form

Here is a link that might be useful: KAVB contact form

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Kristi, thanks for your informative information :)

• pupu999
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kristi
    I'll try :)

Sponsored
More Discussions