Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqui_kam

What do I do now?

jacqui.kam
13 years ago

The flowers have all died down now, and the knobs where they join the stem are slightly enlarged, about the size of a small green olive. When will it have seeds and what do I do when it is ready? What do I do now? How often do I water?. The plant is indoors now. Help Donna and Kristi,please. Jacqui

Comments (4)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi Jacqui,

Continue to treat your plant just as you did before, if the weather is warmer, you can put it outside in some sun, no threat to your pooches now..but still keep it on a table so they won't eat the seedpods! Continue to water it sparingly, too much water as you know can cause the bulb to rot no matter what stage it is in.
    Here are some pictures for you..

Seedpods should grow quite large if they are viable, to the size of a walnut (in shell) or a little smaller is normal too depending on the variety. I don't know how large Red Lion's seedpods grow...

{{gwi:389098}}

it takes about 4 or 5 weeks for them to mature..this is what they look like when they start to dry, this process can take a week or more..

{{gwi:389099}}

seedpods that have turned yellow and have split..

{{gwi:389100}}

this is what good seeds look like inside the pod..

{{gwi:389101}}

if the seeds are not black and have white on them, the white ones are bad..

good seeds and bad seeds.. clean your seeds and throw away the mottled ones and the chaff the picture on the left has some good seeds, hasn't been sorted out yet and the seeds on the right are all bad..

{{gwi:389102}}

soak them in tepid water..changing the water every 3 or 4 days all during the soaking process which can take a week or up to three weeks..if any seeds appear to be moldy, remove them immediately and change the water.

This is what they should look like at the stage that they are ready to be planted..when you get to this stage.. let us know!

{{gwi:389103}}

Donna :-)

One more thing, when soaking them (in a couple inches of water.. in the house) make sure you don't put too many seeds in any one saucer..they shouldn't be touching one another..

• jacqui.kam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Donna for the fantastic pix and info. Mine look pretty small and pathetic so far, but I am sure they have swollen a little. I look forward to great big ones like yours. Will keep you posted. The visiting dogs have now gone home so I only have my darling Sidney who will be 16 in 2 weeks time, quite an old man, but still suffering from hay fever from the cypress and mimosa pollen. Vet has X-rayed and said he is OK. Thanks again, Jacqui

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Jacqui,
    The cypress are also blooming here in Texas and the pollen is "heavy". I was miserable yesterday. Give Sidney a hug!
    Kristi

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Jacqui,
    The cypress are also blooming here in Texas and the pollen is "heavy". I was miserable yesterday. Give Sidney a hug!
    Kristi

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner