Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second generation hybrid: (red-white x Benfica) x royal velvet

Posted by HippieZep 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 7:33

This one is a very nice sumptuous deep red but is otherwise unremarkable except that it is very special to me because it is a second generation hybrid. The seed for this plant came from a hybrid from 2009 where a generic red-white flower was pollinated by the deep dark red Benfica:

photo red-whitexBenfica2009.jpg

This bloomed in 2011 and the flower was then pollinated by Royal Velvet, another deep red rather similar to Benfica. One of the seedlings from this cross flowered today and has a deep velvety hue, rather like Benfica itself. There were only two flowers, but not bad for a first try.

photo rwbrv1.jpg

photo rwbrv2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second generation hybrid: (red-white x Benfica) x royal velve

3 generations, that's impressive. What is your end goal?

o

The color is to die for, at least on my screen. Very dramatic and special.
Thank you so much for posting!!

o

Wow! A second generation hybrid!! And a gorgeous one at that! You deserve to be proud. - J

o

Lovely color! And I like the flower shape likewise. A good mix of it's ancestors flower shape. Congratulations!

o

'What is your end goal?'

Oh, 100 generations, maybe? Seriously, I'm trying to cross hybrids with one or other of their parents to try to approximate that original type, especially with varieties which are hard to breed, like Apple Blossom. I'm very excited to see a 2011 San Remo x Apple blossom in bud for the first time. When this flowers, I hope there will be another Apple Blossom in flower so that I can use the pollen to try to pollinate the hybrid and get some seeds which have the potential to be even more similar to Apple Blossom. It would be easier if the generation time was 20 minutes like bacteria, instead of 3-4 years!

photo srab-1.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here