Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippiezep

Tis the season

hippiezep
11 years ago

It's that time of the year again in Hong Kong - after a long drought, the first bloom of one of my hybrids. There is quite a good crop of 2010 crosses coming through. This one is night star x giraffe:

{{gwi:389351}}

Comments (21)

• fishing_dentist
    11 years ago

Where is the "like" button???
    Congratulations!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I'll push the like button too, very pretty! Can't wait to see the rest!..Donna

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Hmmm....Night Star sure didn't contribute much to shape! But, you can't lose with Giraffe as a parent!
    K

• lila888
    11 years ago

It certainly got Giraffe's shape. Beautiful cross. Congrats!

11 years ago

Since Night Star is a white cybister-ish type with purple center, I really don't see any Night Star in this cross!
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Night Star thread

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I think I have mis-named this - it should be giraffe x night star, following the convention that the host flower was giraffe, fertilised with pollen from night star. This one which followed shortly afterwards is night start x giraffe - giraffe pollen on to a night star stigma:

{{gwi:389353}}

11 years ago

Certainly shows more influence of Night Star.
    K

11 years ago

I like that one very much!! It got a great shape and an interesting color!!..Donna

• haweha
    11 years ago

Awwwh! That's a good one, Behold, Breth- and Sistren those FRILLY EDGES!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Representatives of the 2010 hybrids pushing up scapes and waiting for their moment in the limelight. CanâÂÂt wait to see what the flowers look like. They are 1. Carmen x Apple Blossom; 2. Double record x Benfica; 3. Royal Velvet x Benfica; 4. Rio Negro x Gervase; 5. Red-white x double white; 6. Red-white x Royal Velvet; 7. Red-white x scarlet; 8. Bogota x Carmen; 9. giraffe x double white. Also not shown: Bogota x Benfica and Bogota x San Remo. IâÂÂll post pictures as they emerge.

{{gwi:389355}}

11 years ago

Can't wait to see them! I'm sure they will be as beautiful as your creations from last year!...Donna

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm experimenting with the collage function of Picassa to see if i can get a good image to show the parents and the hybrid offspring together. So the seed flower is top right, the pollen donor bottom right and the offspring the main picture on the left.

This one is giraffe x night star 2011

{{gwi:389357}}

And this one is night star x giraffe 2011

{{gwi:389359}}

11 years ago

That's a great way to do it! You can also write text in the pictures too using Picasa if you should wish to label them.
    You should do that from now on after showing us a single larger picture of your hybrid, it makes it all the more interesting!!...Donna

:-)

This post was edited by dondeldux on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 12:03

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

Very nice, and I like the collage of pics.....really nice to see both parents and the baby together :o) Dan

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some more of the batch of Night Star x Giraffe crosses have flowered - these are all from the same parents, but are noticeably different in form.

{{gwi:389360}}

{{gwi:389361}}

{{gwi:389362}}

{{gwi:389363}}

11 years ago

Night Star is very generous with her frilly edges! Nice to know that she passes on this very desirable trait. Now all I have to do is find me a Night Star!!

Donna

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I love the parents+offspring pics. Really neat to see them side by side. Amazing that all of those last ones are from the same parentage. So interesting to see what traits were passed on.

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting so many great pictures. I always enjoy seeing what the outcome is from various crosses! -Tina

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Hi HippieZep,

Your photos wonderfully illustrate the broad range of variation that one cross can provide. They also make me very glad that I managed to save my 'Night Star' bulb when it threatened to die a few years back. Under my growing conditions cybisters thrive, but (for me) 'Night Star' and 'Melfi' are a bit more delicate.

Many thanks,

Blanca

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This has emerged as my favorite of the dozen or so night star x giraffe hybrids which have bloomed. This one has matured nicely as the flower gets older, with an almost luminous pink glow in certain lights, and the bold veined pattern of the giraffe parent

{{gwi:389364}}

11 years ago

Very lovely, I like them all but this too might be my favorite...Donna

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?