Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tis the season

Posted by HippieZep 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 8:04

It's that time of the year again in Hong Kong - after a long drought, the first bloom of one of my hybrids. There is quite a good crop of 2010 crosses coming through. This one is night star x giraffe:

photo giraffexnightstar2010A.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tis the season

Where is the "like" button???
Congratulations!

o

I'll push the like button too, very pretty! Can't wait to see the rest!..Donna

o

Hmmm....Night Star sure didn't contribute much to shape! But, you can't lose with Giraffe as a parent!
K

o

It certainly got Giraffe's shape. Beautiful cross. Congrats!

o

Since Night Star is a white cybister-ish type with purple center, I really don't see any Night Star in this cross!
K

Here is a link that might be useful: Night Star thread

o

Actually, I think I have mis-named this - it should be giraffe x night star, following the convention that the host flower was giraffe, fertilised with pollen from night star. This one which followed shortly afterwards is night start x giraffe - giraffe pollen on to a night star stigma:

photo nightstarxgiraffe2010A.jpg

o

Certainly shows more influence of Night Star.
K

o

I like that one very much!! It got a great shape and an interesting color!!..Donna

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 13:16

Awwwh! That's a good one, Behold, Breth- and Sistren those FRILLY EDGES!

o

Representatives of the 2010 hybrids pushing up scapes and waiting for their moment in the limelight. Can’t wait to see what the flowers look like. They are 1. Carmen x Apple Blossom; 2. Double record x Benfica; 3. Royal Velvet x Benfica; 4. Rio Negro x Gervase; 5. Red-white x double white; 6. Red-white x Royal Velvet; 7. Red-white x scarlet; 8. Bogota x Carmen; 9. giraffe x double white. Also not shown: Bogota x Benfica and Bogota x San Remo. I’ll post pictures as they emerge.

photo 2009hybrids.jpg

o

Can't wait to see them! I'm sure they will be as beautiful as your creations from last year!...Donna

o

I'm experimenting with the collage function of Picassa to see if i can get a good image to show the parents and the hybrid offspring together. So the seed flower is top right, the pollen donor bottom right and the offspring the main picture on the left.

This one is giraffe x night star 2011

photo giraffexnightstar2011.jpg

And this one is night star x giraffe 2011

photo nightstarxgiraffe2011.jpg

o

That's a great way to do it! You can also write text in the pictures too using Picasa if you should wish to label them.
You should do that from now on after showing us a single larger picture of your hybrid, it makes it all the more interesting!!...Donna

:-)

This post was edited by dondeldux on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 12:03

o

Very nice, and I like the collage of pics.....really nice to see both parents and the baby together :o) Dan

o

Some more of the batch of Night Star x Giraffe crosses have flowered - these are all from the same parents, but are noticeably different in form.

photo NightStarxGiraffeflower4.jpg

photo NightStarxGiraffeflower3.jpg

photo NightStarxGiraffeflower5.jpg

photo NightStarxGiraffeflower2.jpg

o

Night Star is very generous with her frilly edges! Nice to know that she passes on this very desirable trait. Now all I have to do is find me a Night Star!!

Donna

o

Thanks for sharing. I love the parents+offspring pics. Really neat to see them side by side. Amazing that all of those last ones are from the same parentage. So interesting to see what traits were passed on.

o

Thanks for posting so many great pictures. I always enjoy seeing what the outcome is from various crosses! -Tina

o

Hi HippieZep,

Your photos wonderfully illustrate the broad range of variation that one cross can provide. They also make me very glad that I managed to save my 'Night Star' bulb when it threatened to die a few years back. Under my growing conditions cybisters thrive, but (for me) 'Night Star' and 'Melfi' are a bit more delicate.

Many thanks,

Blanca

o

This has emerged as my favorite of the dozen or so night star x giraffe hybrids which have bloomed. This one has matured nicely as the flower gets older, with an almost luminous pink glow in certain lights, and the bold veined pattern of the giraffe parent

photo Nightstarxgiraffe-salmonveined-1.jpg

o

Very lovely, I like them all but this too might be my favorite...Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here