Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another red-white mix

Posted by HippieZep 11 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 8:56

Another hybrid, rather predictable. We haven’t got on to the really interesting ones yet. The host here is the generic red-white common round here, and the pollen was provided by an unnamed variety with clear scarlet flowers. The offspring is a big bright red flower with a bold white flash on each petal.

photo rws1.jpg

photo rwss.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another red-white mix

Looks very nice. I like the shape....

How much area have you devoted to amaryllis? It looks like a nice large area with plenty of room between bulbs. I can't wait until later this year when I can put many seedlings in the ground!

K

o
RE: Another red-white mix

I have appropriated quite a large area behind my house. The ownership of the land is a bit doubtful, but the indigenous villager who claims it is tolerating my presence so far, if I give her a few pots of budding hippies every spring.

photo bushgarden-1.jpg

The climate here in Hong Kong seems to be good for Hippeastrum - hot wet summers and cool winters - and they seem to be quite hardy. There are a couple of problems here though. Firstly, wild pigs sometimes come in the night and mess up the plots. They don't eat the bulbs, but just scatter them all around, which can make it difficult to remember which is which after carefully labelled rows have been randomised.

photo pigdamage.jpg

Also, there are frequent hurricanes in the summer, and large tree branches can occasionally fall on the growing plants

photo fallentree1-2.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here