Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippiezep

Red-white x double white hybrid

hippiezep
11 years ago

Another hybrid from the 2010 batch. The generic red-white was this time crossed with a clear slightly double white variety. The resulting red and white offspring looked a bit ungainly with a kind of messy doubling in the centre when it first opened:

{{gwi:389590}}

However, after another day the centre opened out nicely to give a rather pleasing effect.

{{gwi:389591}}

Comments (8)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I am so pleased by your results using Jewel as the pollen parent! I have made several Jewel crosses over the years and I get a sneak peek at hopeful outcomes looking at your photos.
    K

• oleg9grower
    11 years ago

kaboehm wrote: using Jewel as the pollen parent.
    + :)

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Ooooh... gives a sneak peek at the possibility of my Evergreen x Jewel and Vegas x Jewel crosses! I would love if Evergreen produced a cybistery-double!

Thanks for posting pictures of your cross!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So this is jewel? I got it as an unnamed double white variety, so did not know the name - thanks.

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So IâÂÂm going to call my double white âÂÂJewelâ from now on. Looking at my collection I have scarlet x Jewel 2010 about to flower shortly, and another more interesting cross giraffe x jewel 2010 already has scapes emerging. I have another intriguing cross Lima x jewel which has been growing since 2009, but does not look very robust and has no signs of flowering.

Some more red-white x jewel 2010 individuals have emerged, with various amounts of white and doubling.

{{gwi:389592}}

{{gwi:389593}}

• oleg9grower
    11 years ago

Interesting results, I would like to know the name of the red - is so intriguing!
    You smell the flowers seedlings, they have a smell? If so, what is it?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Yes... Give them a sniff as Jewel is fragrant. I hope it passes on to your seedlings! Jewel also is nearly chocolate brown at the very back of the throat. Maybe red/ brown... To me it smells a bit of chocolate!
    K

• brigarif Khan
    11 years ago

Very nice
    Arif

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions