Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Another Ebay bulb...

Hi Guys,

Here is another Ebay bulb I'm going to give a try. Do you think this is a vitattum hybrid?

Thanks,

Donna

My Ebay North Carolina bulb (Ebay bulb # 1) is blooming now..first bulb with only two flowers, but a second larger bulb is opening and I think there will be 4 flowers..the flowers are sensational and once again, very fragrant. I'll post pictures when the larger bulb opens..stay tuned...;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: vitattum hybrid???

Comments (14)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Donna,

This is most definitely a plant involving H. vittatum!

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Neat! Keep us posted!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey you guys.. Some of you must have bought one..now there are 8 sold and I only bought the second one! Fess up!!

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Donna is that possible, that You are addicted? :-)

Me too!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, and Welome back from your trip! Hope you had a great time!!

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Thanks a lot! It whas very nice and very relaxing! I did get one Amaryllis- bulb from a neigbour of my mother in law. :-) But it is a surprise package. It did grow in his yard. But it is growing in Peru and i think, the dutch dont sell so much to south america. I have a little hope, maybe it is a beauty and no red lion! :-)
    Red lion is a beauty too, but is till have it
    Lots of greetings

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Guys,
    Well, I got my bulbs from this order and generally they were a bit on the ratty side but one had a bud. The roots were cut off to about 2" but since there were three pretty good sized bulbs, I'll live with it.
    Anyway, I have a bloom and the flower is extremely stressed and on a 3" stalk, but the flower is still beautiful!! Clear white with maroon red markings, a lovely dark maroon throat and VERY sweet smelling.

Could this be the real vittatum? I am going to try to get it to set a seedpod but I'm not optimistic. I hesitate to use the pollen as it may have a few issues and I'm not talking virus yet..but I'm dying to use the pollen!
    Please take a look and see if you think it's the real vittatum..

Thanks,

Donna

{{gwi:389789}}

{{gwi:389791}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

This looks just like what I got at WalMart last year as "White". I crossed it with Alfresco and got 2 seedlings. With both parents being scented, I am very hopeful!!

I described mine as having raspberry-colored veining. Very pretty!!
    Kristi

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm you mean I might just have bought a WalMart special?? :-( and here I thought I might have something unique :-(

• joshy46013
    11 years ago

Donna,

Can I see a side profile picture? True H. vittatum typically has very long trumpets.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh phooey..it's definitly not a trumpet..I guess I did get a hybrid..well if it lives, it should be very beautiful..it wasn't advertised as vittatum..so I'll just enjoy it for what it is..I tried to self it but I'm sure it is much too stressed to take..thanks..

Original Author
    11 years ago

Just one more note on these bulbs..the eBay seller sold at least 15 lots of 3 bulbs each lot.. and now he's started again and upped the price.. The point I'm trying to make is where would he get so very many of the exact same bulbs with no variations? ..and no, I'm not going to ask him...;-)

• npublici
    11 years ago

Donna,you have a bulb which is Vittatum or a close hybrid.It is probably a diploid if it is an heirloom,or the species.Vittatum is so easy to grow and multiplies so proliflcally that the species is often an heirloom in the southern US.I grew the species from seed. From one seedling I have obtained around forty five bulbs. They offset more than most.The first year there were five offsets.I seperated and planted and now have those containers full of bulbs.I call the color cranberry,but maroon is close too. Del

Original Author
    11 years ago

Del,
    Thank you for the information..that explains why this person has so very many of these bulbs..I wouldn't have imagined that they could offset like that but it makes sense now how this seller ended up with probably close to 100 bulbs.. and still selling them!

I had googled vittatum when it first bloomed and there is one picture that looks exactly like the one I have, but there are others too that are totally different..color and shape and some have a green throat.. not the deep lovely throat of mine. Is there more than one form or variety of vittatum? Could I expect to get clones if I am lucky enough to get it to set seeds? I'm reluctant to use the pollen, too bad, I've got a few things out it might work on.. nary a papilio in sight this season...

Mine doesn't have the trumpet shape Josh alluded to, but that may be due to stress. I think the flower has great potential, the white is extremely crisp and the color is as you and Kristi say.. between cranberry and raspberry. I guess I would call the throat maroon..it's really very pretty and I'm hoping I can get at least one of the 3 bulbs to live!!

Here is the latest picture with 4 poor flowers trying their best to bloom. I love the sweet fragrance too!

{{gwi:389793}}

Thanks again,

Donna

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia