Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does heat change the color?

Posted by haxuan Vietnam (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 10:07

I grew my Candy floss bulb in my highland (cool) garden and it bloomed like this.

This year, as I have to look after my granddaughter, I moved the bulb down to Saigon and now it looks like this.

Likewise, this bloom was like this last year on the highland.

And like this down in Saigon this year.

I reckon the heat has discolored the blooms. Am I right?

Xuan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does heat change the color?

Xuan,

Heat does influence coloring of the flowers, cooler temps will make a color more vibrant. Maybe Maria will post her picture of her completely pink 'Limona', I looked for it and I couldn't find it but it was so pink I would have NEVER guessed what it was!

Josh

o

Whoa! That Candy Floss is not recognizable at all. I know plants can be stressed but never seen such a drastic change in a flower like that.

o

I was thinking the same thing about that Candy Floss..you wouldn't guess for a minute they were the same flower....

o

I have several others with faded colors! Sigh!

I hope to be able to move my bulbs back up soon so next year they will come true with their colors.

Xuan

o

Lots of heat will make a flower completely unrecognizable, I had that problem with a cybister that I asked for advice of on this forum when Maria suggested to me that was the problem.

o

I�ve seen and posted about the same thing....the colors are much more vibrant on the blooms that open in Feb-Apr than those that open late Apr - June. It can be really hot already then.

Kristi
Spring, TX (reporting in from Reykjavik...where I have seen NO amaryllis!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here