Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippiezep

night star x giraffe 2011

hippiezep
10 years ago

This cross produced quite a number of seedlings in 2011,and one or two of them flowered last year. This is a first time bloomer, the first of this season, and has only two flowers but shows quite a pleasing form and colour almost intermediate between the two parents

{{gwi:390304}}

The ones that flowered last year were quite variable, so I'm looking forward to seeing what this years crop will bring - there are over 20 pushing up buds at the moment.

Comments (19)

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

That is so exciting!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

This is lovely and I can't wait to see the rest of them! I always wished I could find a Night Star as I've seen some lovely hybrids using it as one of the parents.

Donna

• mariehass
    10 years ago

What a beautiful cross!!!!

Marie

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the night star from Royal Colours 4 years ago and it has bloomed every year, and yes, it does produce some interesting hybrids, especially with giraffe. It is pushing up a tall shoot now, but my giraffe are a long way from flowering so I may have to try something else. I have an exotic star with the beginnings of a bud, but not sure if they will overlap.

Meanwhile, today there are two new night star x giraffe from the 2011 cohort open in the garden. The first has three flowers - the background is a cool creamy colour with dark crimson streaks.

{{gwi:390305}}

The second is much more yellowish - it seemed to glow more yellow than it appears in this photo. There are 4 on this head.

{{gwi:390306}}

One last treat for today was a Lima flowering in the community garden, with both scapes in full bloom exactly together:

{{gwi:390307}}

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Your Lima blooming in the community garden looks so lovely and happy. Maybe you could save some of its pollen for one of your Night Star's upcoming flowers. As you likely know, their ploidy is compatible.

-Blanca

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two more new night star x giraffe plants blooming today. The first is very pale greenish yellow, with only the faintest red streaks. This will be a perfect cross for the Lima x giraffe that appeared last year that I called âÂÂgreen jadeâ - an even greener individual. That one will flower shortly so this cross is a real possibility, or as Blancawing suggested, I can keep some pollen.

{{gwi:390308}}

The other is much streakier, with bold patterns of cream and maroon:

{{gwi:390309}}

The very first night star x giraffe to flower this year has become considerably redder as the days pass by. You can see the difference by comparing this picture with the one at the top of the page:

{{gwi:390310}}

Quite a few more are due to appear in the next week or so, so I'm hoping for some interesting features..

10 years ago

Very interesting to see the color change in your first flower! Love to see your inspirational pictures and your successes!

Donna

• lenanen
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Zep! Your crosses continue to impress and inspire!
    I got Giraffe this season but didn't get to use it in crosses. I had very few, if any, other hippies blossoming at that time. But it has parental value, definitely, and will give it a try then when possible.

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two more night star x giraffe opened today. The first is a fairly typical one with thin striping on a creamy background:

{{gwi:390311}}

The other is a much bolder design, with solid chunks of maroon on the upper petals

{{gwi:390312}}

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Oh my, these are gorgeous crosses. I have avoided making crosses because there were so many new cultivars each year, but your hybrids are making this very tempting! - J

10 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!...Donna

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The night star x giraffe bed is now a real treat with such a variety of shapes and colours. IâÂÂm just preparing some of the individual flowers, but in the meantime hereâÂÂs a general shot of the garden.

{{gwi:390313}}

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here are some of the varied individual plants:

{{gwi:390315}}

{{gwi:390316}}

{{gwi:390317}}

{{gwi:390318}}

{{gwi:390319}}

{{gwi:390320}}

{{gwi:390321}}

{{gwi:390322}}

{{gwi:390323}}

{{gwi:390324}}

{{gwi:390325}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

The bottom photo is a real treat! Each bloom is different, a bit like H. Gervase!! I also like the 3rd from the bottom....it takes after its pollen parent. I miss my original H. Night Star, but it gave me 2 offsets that are getting larger. I hope to see it bloom again!

Thanks so much for sharing this "family" of blooms!
    K

10 years ago

Wow, what a treat to see all of these!
    My favorites are #4, #7, #8 and the last 2. Great job!

Like Kristi I particularly like the last one with the variations in the colors.

Donna

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Eye candy!

• blancawing
    10 years ago

WOW. I can't choose a favorite. Each has desirable characteristics.

It will be fascinating to see the F2 generation flower in the future.

-Blanca

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Very nice...all of them! It so nice to have a wide variety of colors in one cross.
    Congratulations and well done!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions