love_the_yard

Is this Amaryllis Clown?

I want to sell some of my amaryllis bulbs and I need to

make sure I have their correct names. Since I rarely buy

new ones and mostly propagate my own from seed and offsets,

I am not as familiar with collecting and the various names

as many of you. I bought these a long time ago and I'm not

sure I remember them correctly. So I really need your

help. Thank you in advance, all of you experts!

I have several different varieties that I need to

confirm that I will be posting. Here is the first - is

this Amaryllis Clown?

{{gwi:390329}}

{{gwi:390331}}

{{gwi:390333}}

{{gwi:390336}}

{{gwi:390338}}

{{gwi:390341}}

{{gwi:390344}}

{{gwi:390347}}

{{gwi:390349}}

{{gwi:390351}}

{{gwi:390353}}

{{gwi:390355}}

{{gwi:390357}}

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Carol

Comments (14)

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Of course flower coloration can vary greatly; however, Clown typically has about 75% deep red.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pat, thanks for the help. It is in deep shade, which often pales the colors, but I am not sure. What else might it be?

Carol

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi Carol,

In my opinion the red and white striped flowers are among the most difficult to ID as the color can vary from year to year. I have 3 varieties and maybe you can see if you think one of these matches yours...

Clown..

{{gwi:390359}}

{{gwi:390361}}

Toronto..I only have a couple of small bulblets left of this one as the NFB ate the mother..2 years ago..at the time this was one of the few bulbs I had and I thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world..! I think my Toronto is more to the orange side of red than my Clown.

and Popov from this year..last year it was so ugly I didn't even save it's pictures, this year it was much better. It was new last year.

{{gwi:390363}}

{{gwi:390365}}

Of my three varieties Clown has the rounder flower and the deepest red of the group..the other two are more orangey and more of a triangular flower..

And, of course any of mine might be mislabeled...as we all know....

Your guess....

Donna

{{gwi:390367}}

{{gwi:390369}}

Somehow this got messed up and the last two pictures are Toronto, (too lazy to do it over)

• haweha
    13 years ago

I purchased one in the 90s that had exactly the same kind of flowers, labelled as "Prins Carneval" These were some really BIG flowers, but I did not appreciate the multiple projections of the segments.

11 years ago

Hi,

I'm resurrecting this thread because my Clown bloomed (an offset) once again and I was perusing though EBay and noticed a Clown for sale with a red throat. So, I went searching and most all pictures of Clown DO have a red throat. I've had my bulb for 4 years and I went back to look at all my pictures and NO red throat!

So, I'm wondering what I have if it isn't Clown. The flowers are always round unlike Popov and Toronto which are triangular. And it doesn't seem to have the petaloids in the center either. Not the end of the world, I'm just wondering if anyone would an idea of the true identity of my Clown.

Here is my Clown this year, just two flowers from an offset, the mother bulb hasn't bloomed yet...and the color isn't as deep a red as previous years.

Donna

• Brandi Gregson
    7 years ago

I received a clown for Christmas and it seems to be bent. Why is this happening and what can I do to correct it? Thank you

• Brandi Gregson
    7 years ago

The picture made it worse

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    7 years ago

Support the leaves. They are just leaning!

• Brandi Gregson
    7 years ago

Should I tie them to a bamboo stick or just put something there to support them?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    7 years ago

Donna, The National Gardening Association website shows no red in H. Clown's throat nor does Emaryllis.com.

7 years ago

Yes, and I think it was determined in a different post that my Clown is most likely Sidney.

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Hi Brandi,

Does that pot have drainage? It looks like the leaves may be wilting a bit due to too much moisture?

Fred

• Brandi Gregson
    7 years ago

No, it was given as a gift to me in this pot.

Sponsored
More Discussions