Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimnpa

H. evansiae

I've been enjoying this lovely little gem of a species for the past few days. It is about as "yellow", as a flower can get! I almost missed it bloomimg in my basement "jungle"!

Jim

{{gwi:390509}}

{{gwi:390512}}

{{gwi:390514}}

Comments (34)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Nice!! mine had a slighly more pronounced pink star in the middle! More photos from the jungle please!!
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Lovely little yellow flower.. your basement jungle looks as neat as always, got anything else blooming?

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Kristi,

The pink is more prominent with cooler weather and brighter lighting! Sometimes mine appear to be almost completely pink, just depends on the conditions when it blooms!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Oh and BTW, there is an almost pure yellow specie that has been been recollected that was thought to be extinct... I cant say much about it other than it is absolutely yellow, much more so than H. evansiae!

Shortly there will be a book published by a botanist in Bolivia that is re-evaluating the genera. I wish I could show you guys the pictures, it's incredible! Hopefully if all goes according to plan the book will be published at the end of the year and the pictures will be released!

Josh

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    13 years ago

It's lovely, Jim. I especially like how, in your photos, it looks like it's glowing.

My current growing situation is too cold for this one, I believe, but, when I move (this spring), it goes to the top of the want list.

Amanda

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Who has interest in yellow flowers?

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Good job Jim. I've noticed my H.e. showing scapes. Kristi, It's a recent purchase from Joshua's.
    Josh, like many folks I'm interested in yellow Hippeastrum. I've made several crosses between tangarine orange and 'Yellow Pioneer', and orange and 'Lemon Lime'. None came out darker yellow. All sorts on mongrel mixed paterns. One of the few plants I'm saving room for is the Yellow Crinum from OZ. Any word on availability at a reasonable price?

• bubbles68
    11 years ago

Hi Jim, I just saw your photos, do you have any seeds to this beautiful yellow hippeastrum? I am very desperate to get seeds to a yellow like this can you help? Do you know anyone else who may have seeds? Please contact me at couturecol@adam.com.au

• Pavel
    6 years ago

Right now blooming for me - H.evansiae.

The flowering bulb is very small - only about 3 cm

• jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Pavel,

Very beautiful! As I understand, this one likes it kept somewhat dry.

• Elena75
    6 years ago

Hello Jim ! Beautiful flower! At what size of the bulb does it bloom?

Hi Pavel ! Congratulations! Such a small and such a beauty!

I have Evansi but have not bloomed yet .... but size allows.

Elena.

6 years ago

Hello Pavel,

Beautiful and delicate flower, a beauty!

Donna

• everado
    6 years ago

Lovely flower, Pavel! I've never seen any hippeastrum with a golden hue like that. Mine is sending up its first scape right now, so my fingers are crossed that it looks as good as yours!

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Very beautiful, Pavel, congratulations!

Anja

• brigarif Khan
    6 years ago

Lovely, I love yellows but they don't survive with me, to delicate.

• Elena75
    6 years ago

I want to update this thread)) Finally I waited for the flowering of my hippeastrum Evansiae.

6 years ago

Very beautiful Elena, yours has exceptionally frilly edges, just lovely!!

Donna

• Elena75
    6 years ago

Thank you Donna! The origin of this clone is Bolivia. He does not have a pink star in his throat, but he sparkles in yellow))

Elena.

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Elena,

They are very pretty and I agree with Donna on the lovely frilly edges. Mine have a way to go before they flower and I hope they're as pretty as yours :-)))

Fred

• Elena75
    6 years ago

Thank you Fred! I hope your flower will please you!

Elena.

• jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Elena, just beautiful and well worth the wait.

• mariava7
    6 years ago

What a coincidence that Elena decided to post in this thread that Jim (jimnpa) started in March 6, 2011. He was such a good grower and collector of hippies. Rest in peace Jim.

• Elena75
    6 years ago

Hello, Maria. Perhaps this is not a coincidence, we will never know. I hope Jim is now doing his favorite thing in the Garden of Eden.

• Elena75
    6 years ago

Yesterday, Evansi did not have this second nose yet)) who knows, maybe the temperature difference caused him to squeeze out the second flower bud.

• Stephen Funk
    6 years ago

I would love to have some seed from this if any is available.

• Pavel
    6 years ago

Elena, very, very nice. Congrats

• booman1218
    6 years ago

I want to buy a pardinum bulb. Can you help?

• Pavel
    6 years ago

booman1218 - Sorry, now I don´t have for sale.

• Elena75
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you Pavel! I got the pollen from different Evansiae clones, from a my friend, and now I have the opportunity to try to get the seeds. If I receive I will certainly write about it here.

• Elena75
    6 years ago

• jimnpa (zone6a PA USA)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,
    I'm not sure if any of you know that Jim passed away on June 18, 2017 just 40 days after being diagnosed with Glioblastoma Multiforme (brain tumor). My world has been devastated with loosing Jim, we did have 7 wonderful years of marriage and during our marriage he truly loved working in the basement on his flowers.

He will truly be missed here at our home by me and our 5 Whippets. I am trying my best to take a crash course on maintaining his flowers that he cherished. In this picture Jim is on the left and that's me Bill on the right.

Hugs to all of you! I know Jim loved this group conversing with many of you and also sharing pictures of his beautiful flowers.

• blancawing
    6 years ago

Dear Bill,

I am very sorry to learn of your tragic loss. Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful photo. If you need a bit of advice on caring for Jim's flowers, just ask. Their beauty will be an ongoing reminder of his love.

Sharing your sadness,

Blanca

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked blancawing
  • timhensley
    6 years ago

So sorry for your loss.

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA) thanked timhensley
Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz