Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Surprise Seeds!

Hi,
Well I got a real surprise when I opened my shriveled Surprise (Maguires) x papilio seedpods that I thought were a goner! About a week ago I opened the first shriveled pod and the seeds were all gray and mushy. I left the second pod on about a week or 10 days longer and decided yesterday was the day. Was I surprised when this pod was full of brown to light brown seeds all with visible embryos! The seeds were so small that they were sticking to my fingers so I just threw the whole lot in water and will clean out the chaff today. Now I have in the past germinated brown seeds successfully but, not this light a color brown. So I'll be happy if a few of them survive but won't be surprised if they all turn to mush. Truthfully, I don't really know how far along these were but given another week or so they might have looked better. I guess I should have waited a bit longer...

{{gwi:390529}}

...and my Giraffe finally bloomed with only three flowers after waiting 2 years! No markings to speak of but the flowers were cute so, out came what's left of my papilio pollen and voila! The largest pod is only 5/16 of an inch, though they look larger in the picture, I think only one is viable.

Thanks for looking,

Donna

{{gwi:390531}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz