Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstonpat

Mounting H. papilio

houstonpat
13 years ago

I am relatively new to growing Hippeastrum but have admired the beauty of H. papilio since it was first pictured in advertisments. Over many years I have grown 'Staghorn ferns' as an epiphyte on cedar boards. The sequence of photos show my method. I cut a piece of 1" cedar board about 20" long. I drove a series of 1 1/4" galvenized nails around the edge. I selected a medium sized health bulb. I pre-moistened long fiber sphagnum. I gently romoved the bulb from the pot removing the offsets I placed it on the board as shown in the photo. I mixed some good potting soil with super phosphate and Ironite and placed a fist full at the base of the bulb. I firmly attached the bulb to the board with a couple pieces of nylon line nailed to the board. Using 20lb test fishing line, I wove back and forth over the sphagnum covering the roots well. The line should be fairly tight holding the moss firmly. I screw an eyebolt into the top of the board to allow hanging from a nail. I place the board in dappled shade. I water it by squirting it with a hose or plunging it into a bucket of water. Papilio experiences a dormant period in Houston during the heat of mid summer so I took advantage of that dormancy to do this project. H. aulicum apparently also occurs as an epiphyte so I have mounted some seed grown bulbs in a sphagnum hanging basket.

{{gwi:390730}}

{{gwi:390731}}

{{gwi:390732}}

{{gwi:390733}}

{{gwi:390734}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz