Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My amaryllis wont sleep!

Posted by archoo16 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 10:58

I bought a Amaryllis Kit from Lowes clearance last November and planted them right then. 10 weeks later I got 4 beautiful tall blooms. After they faded, I removed them and cut the stalk close to the bulb. I fertilized a little. Now my plant just wont go dormant. I have stopped watering for 2 weeks now. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

And Any thoughts on what kind it is, would be nice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My amaryllis wont sleep!

Typically after the bulb blooms, it launches into leaf growth. I wouldn't try to induce dormancy until autumn. Meanwhile (if it is spring where you live) encourage growth!
K

o

kaboehm, spring has started today. But its cold still. So I should keep watering it and fertilize it? It has large green leaves and has become slightly floppy because I haven't watered it in 2 weeks. It sits in from of a south facing glass door and gets good amounts of sun light. Should I water till it becomes yellow on its own? Thanks for the quick reply.

o

Archoo,

Continue to water and fertilize your plant and leave it in front of your south facing glass door. Perfect spot for it until the temps warm considerably. It must be much warmer than just the word spring before you put it outside for the summer.

When it goes outside in a month or two, continue to feed and water it until early fall. The leaves must continue to grow to nourish your bulb so it will bloom again.

If you want your bulb to bloom for the holidays then check back to the forum and then ask what to do next fall. Otherwise, you can allow your bulb to grow as an evergreen, bringing it back in the house when the nights get below 40 degrees F and it will bloom on it's own when it's ready, maybe in Feb, or March of next year.

Donna

o

True....Spring starts this week and some are getting snow and ice! The last danger of frost must have passed before you can safely put your bulb outside!

Sorry! It's in the 80s here in Spring, TX...too hot, too soon!
K

o

Thanks dondeldux. Will do just that. And let it bloom naturally . Thanks Kaboehm.

o

guys, does any body know if it has a name or not? :) Besides "planty", that is.

o

Well, you know I looked at it several times and couldn't really decide which color is was. Was it pink or orangy or reddish. It's very pretty but honestly I don't recognize it from your picture and I should be able to ID it but can't. Maybe someone else can help. Off hand I might say Minerva but it doesn't really look like one. Would you have another picture?

Donna

o

My guess is that this was labeled as "Minerva"... but it's a classic box kit switcheroo! You may never know what it really is! -Tina

o

Would this help? I was trying to be artistic with my new phone :P

o

very colorful Apple Blossom?
K

o

I suppose that's possible, it doesn't really look like Minerva does it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here