Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Short scape questions

I have many Papilio bulbs that I received as gifts last year. They were all grown in the same climate previously as what they are in now.

While one of the bulbs put out the standard nice tall scape (in the greenhouse, recently), one bulb (at least in my hands) has bloomed 2-3 times and each time the blooms emerge from the neck on scapes that are only about 1" tall. This potted bulb has been in the same place, in front entry protected from the cold, since I've had it so I know for a fact that it is the same bulb that repeated blooms on short scapes.

I am hesitant to collect any pollen from this "short-scaped" bloom as I don't know if this is a product of surroundings or if this is something that could be passed on to offspring. To the best of the prior grower's knowledge, these short scapes aren't the norm, but performance of individual bulbs hasn't been tracked.

We had a very stressfull (very hot and dry) summer in 2011 and I am wondering if the bulbs are still showing the effects of that summer.

THOUGHTS?
Kristi

Comments (2)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994