Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Short scape questions

Posted by kaboehm 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 11:02

I have many Papilio bulbs that I received as gifts last year. They were all grown in the same climate previously as what they are in now.

While one of the bulbs put out the standard nice tall scape (in the greenhouse, recently), one bulb (at least in my hands) has bloomed 2-3 times and each time the blooms emerge from the neck on scapes that are only about 1" tall. This potted bulb has been in the same place, in front entry protected from the cold, since I've had it so I know for a fact that it is the same bulb that repeated blooms on short scapes.

I am hesitant to collect any pollen from this "short-scaped" bloom as I don't know if this is a product of surroundings or if this is something that could be passed on to offspring. To the best of the prior grower's knowledge, these short scapes aren't the norm, but performance of individual bulbs hasn't been tracked.

We had a very stressfull (very hot and dry) summer in 2011 and I am wondering if the bulbs are still showing the effects of that summer.

THOUGHTS?
Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Short scape questions

Gosh... it doesn't seem like the bulb would still be stressed from a rough summer in 2011 if it has been provided good care since then. The leaves all look lush and healthy? It seems like papilio are more prone to short scapes than other bulbs... but maybe it just seems that way because so many of us prize their precious scapes even more than the scapes from many of our other bulbs. Do you have other bulbs from the same grower than are growing more reliably under similar conditions? Is it possible that there is something funky going on with the roots (ie- something like an overly thick basal plate that is preventing the formation of a healthy root system)? -Tina

o
RE: Short scape questions

Tina,
Hmmm... Sounds like digging it up and checking might be the key!
Thanks for the suggestion. I moved most of them into separate and sometimes larger pots last year and don't recall seeing anything too odd. Never hurts to check.
Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here