Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippiezep

Lemon-lime x Dancing Queen

hippiezep
12 years ago

I planted these seedlings in spring 2010, and this one has been out in the garden for 12 months. I was surprised to see this one with a bud appearing. There are also two offshoots appearing as well.

{{gwi:390897}}

I dug it up and put it in a pot to keep on the roof and watch its progress, so will be very interested to see what the flower is like. I'll keep you posted.

Geoff

{{gwi:390898}}

Comments (9)

• chickens_on_mars
    12 years ago

Happy looking bulb.
    I'll be very interested to see what you get.
    Fast to bloom too.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Geoff, those leaves look very virused. Please take care to sterilize and clean anything that may come in contact with this plant.
    Kristi

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm - what are the signs indicating virus here?

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

The mottling on the leaves are indicative of virus.

Can't wait to see the flowers!

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got me worried now - never even heard of this virus before. I'll keep this one separate, but it came from a planted out bush plot with a couple of hundred other seedlings, so that does not augur well.

• salpal
    12 years ago

Geoff- not wishing to be a bearer of bad tidings, but your giraffe x double white, posted elsewhere, looks virused too. You need to search for virus on this forum and stay unemotional. Maria and Del will recommend you "burn em", others will say it can be lived with. It is a frustrating situation. Those who "burn em" either have large collections including rare species or live in the south and worry about spreading the virus. Those of us in the north worry mainly about our own presumably virus free hippeastrum. I have ditched heavily virused plants and don't necessarily burn them, I "freeze em" sometimes, and send them to the dump, I'm not so worried in zone 4. Other individuals, such as Pax and Arif, grow with the virus and just accept it. You have seen the beautiful flowers Arif grows. It is a difficult situation either way, many people get very emotional over it. I think you do need to figure out how you will handle it , since it is so obvious that your lovely and nearly blooming plants have this nasty virus. I wish you the best of luck. Also, take note you can take seeds and apparently grow them virus free.

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. Not sure what kinds of viruses are around in Hong Kong - I'll try to get some local knowledge from other growers here before deciding what to do.

• hippiezep
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The flowers have finally emerged, and it is interesting to see the contribution of the two parents. The outside of the flowers and buds are that cool yellow green of the mother, but the inside is streaked with influence from the pollen donor. The lemon-lime changes from clear pale coloration to suffused with orange during the life of the flower, so it will be interesting to see if the hybrid does the same.

{{gwi:390899}}

{{gwi:390900}}

{{gwi:390901}}

Geoff

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms! Do keep the updates coming. :) Take care!