Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_juniper

Baby hybrids

erin_juniper
10 years ago

I have some babies that are the result of some crosses I did several years back. They are growing well, making lots of leaves and the bulbs seem to be getting bigger.

I know it takes 5yrs or more for the seeds to grow into big enough bulbs to produce flowers but the first set of crosses I did is probably 6 yrs old and they don't look big enough to even be close to flowering.

Is there anything I can do to encourage them to develop faster?

Comments (5)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

With good care they can bloom in 2-3 years. Are you growing yours inside or outside? Are they getting good sun and fertilizer? If you read the FAQ you might get some answers about the best way to care for these seedlings so that they give you the best results possible.

I usually let my seedlings grow as evergreens until their first year of blooming.

K

• erin_juniper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am growing them inside under fish tank lights so they are supposed to be full spectrum.

I do fertilize once and awhile but I'm not sure if I should feed them year round and with what mix. I've read some threads on here re fertilizing and its just so complicated I gave up trying to decide whats best.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Erin,

I have a papilio x Exotic Star seed crosses that I have been growing for close to 4 years now and only one has bloomed and it did this at the tender age of about 2 1/2 yrs. I have another seedling from that cross that is a really good size and still hasn't bloomed and about 15 more from this same cross that have no intention of blooming for the foreseeable future. All the same cross living in community pots getting the same fertilizer and amounts of sun and water. I feel it is just the genetics of each individual seedling that determines if it will be a vigorous seedling and bloom soon or take it time as most of them seem to do.

As for fertilizing, each time I water my seedlings I add a very dilute mix of liquid Miracle Grow and as Kristi says I always let my seedlings grow as evergreen until they bloom or they themselves decide they want a rest which most of them never do. I think one of your problems is not enough fertilizer. You can't go wrong with a ''weak" solution each time you water and it you feel that is too much then do it every other time.

Good luck and hope you get some blooms on your hybrids soon.

Donna

• erin_juniper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ill try the liquid miracle grow. So you feed them year round right? Cuz they aren't in any kind of bloomeing cycle, right? Thats what you mean by "evergreen"?

I think more light would help too. I'm gonna put them out in the greenhouse for the spring until it gets too hot in there. I worry about keeping them outside though, that they might get the narcissus fly. I had many bulbs killed that way a few years ago.

Do you think the babies can tolerate a higher temperature than the adult bulbs?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

If anything, I think really young seedlings need a stable temperature, but if they are older, and can adjust to the temps, they should be fine. Just don't BAKE them in the greenhouse! My greenhouse can get to 100 degrees F on a sunny cool day!

I use the Miraclegro concentrate packets (they are a crystal material), so you can use either that or the liquid concentrate. Just mix it til it's a very pale blue....pale!!!

K

Sponsored
More Discussions