Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoff9

Reply to previous questions about what I just said.

geoff9
13 years ago

Big for an apartment. With al the other plants I only have room for perhaps fifteen adults at one time. Then there are dozens of juveniles, hundreds of seedlings. It takes about 22 months from seed to flower here. This is because I am working with a Jamaican endemic which is an all-year, multi-blooming whenever it feels like it kind of plant. In a good year with good sun twelve stems of four flowers each have happened. Color is peacchy orange with green lines in throat. It was bred with a fire engine red amaryllis from the trade, a regular sleeper with bit flowers. One line grew twicee a fast as all the others. In every generation of that line's involvement there are one or two seedlings that hold that characteristic. On the lines I kept flower shape is on the long side of standard. Petals are moderately short and pointed on the aggressive one and longer and more pointed on a related line. Both are cadmium red on the artist's scale, and one has a white center while the other has lines. That aggression get passed down when I mixed H. striatum (with white stripe) into the mix. So far the biggest flower has been 7 inches across and six high (17.5 by 15 centimeters).

And frenzy? After a hard winter the sleepers surge, the evergreens that have waited or grown with glacial slowness exploode into new leaves and flowers.le,

Comments (17)

• haweha
    13 years ago

Ummh...
    may I kindly suggest, that you respond within the thread that you just opened - otherwise the context will be lost.

Thank you for your information! Now I am thrilled in anticipation, how these "aggressive flowers" might look!

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

12 Scapes in one year.Please show us the supper plant and details of environment it is thriving.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I'm assuming by the twelve scapes that it's from multiple plants, right?

I would really like to see pictures of these plants!! What other species do you grow?

• geoff9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My plant skills may be good enough, but my computer skills are not. Third attempt at a reply. I can't send pictures, for I don't know how to take pictures correctly or how to upload them. This may come in time. I must also tell you the colors as they have been told to me. I breed for form and hardiness. Other people have to help me with the visuals. Naturally I want any of my plants to also look nice. Anyway, the Jamaican. Yes, twelve scapes per bulb in one year, throughout the year, I mean. Usually four flowers per, except when very young or exhausted. Four or five inches across, with somewhat narrower tepals, thick in the center and tapering to a fine edge, more recurved than an average amaryllis flower. Color is peachy orange, with green lines in throat. My biggest cross so far, at about seven inches wide, has been described to me today as redish-orange with a yellow-white area well inside the flower. That color is also somewhat visible from the back, and is very much so when I mixed this line with H. striatum. Oh, I had wonderful sun when I got twelve scapes that year, from a fully adult bulb. Other than that I have a normal apartment. I am, however, fairly attentive with good soil, food and water on demand.

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

From above I gather that the bulb is in a pot inside the heated apartment getting sun through a window. What temperature and humidity do you maintain? and what is a good soil/food.
    Mine only bloom once a year.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Wow... 12 scapes from ONE bulb a year? I have never heard or see such a thing, what is your secret?

Josh

• geoff9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is nothing terribly exciting about me, for most of the amazingness is all about this evergreen bulb. Given good conditions at all it Grows. Temperatures here can hit 100 degrees here in the summer, and I am sure that it is down to 50 or less, actually probably occasionally much less, in the winter by the window. Soil mix contains sand or gravel, and should be made loose and organic. In other words, good, but not particularly odd. I use chemical fertilizer, having learned that cockroaches will not live near its smell. I go for the ones with all the tracce elements, and use a 15/30/15 ratio, but I'll bet it can be improved on. The secret is that there isn't one.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Tomorrow is April Fool's Day...

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I couldn't imagine 13 scapes a year from one bulb, that's by far a record! Do they bloom continuously year round? Do you consider a grouping of the plant as one or are you literally counting each individual bulb? Over time a pot can hold a very LARGE quantity of plants, some of my pots have maybe 16-17 bulbs in them from producing offsets.

It is more reasonable to have six bulbs that shoot an average of two scapes per, maybe one shooting three or so but if you do indeed have one singular bulb producing up to thirteen scapes a year I think you should be contacting many of the firms in the Netherlands as I'm sure they'd have a bidding war ;)

Josh

• geoff9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are lucky indeed to have so much space that you can have six big bulbs in one pot. Pot space is a huge issue here, so all bulbs that tolerate it are raised to their limit. The Jamaican doesn't care. It have good paper layering. Well, it was twelve scapes. I hit a 3? Hmm. Anyway, a full adult bulb is not as large as the biggest amaryllises I have seen in bulb size, but it like a very big onion. So I mean from one bulb. I keep an adult with its myriad little offsets in a pot. And the rest, the money part? This bulb has gotten around. It was brought in in '79 as I remember, and hase been given away many many times. My friend wanted it to run free, not to turn it into a money thing. So I hold to his spirit. If I create something which is free-flowering, good-looking and hardy as a horse I'll spring it on him. See what he thinks. As for the Jamaican, I'm sure others have done who knows what with it.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Geoff...
    Sounds very interesting. As you said, computer skills may not be everyone's best skill and ... A PICTURE IS WORTH 1000 WORDS! If you look in the FAQ, and are so inspired, you could easily post a photo here. Many of us would love to see the blooms. Photos are a large part of sharing here as people perceive blooms to have different shapes and colors...ask 3 people and you might get 3 different answers.

That said, it would be most appreciated if you could share just one photo of this extremely aggressive, evergreen that you are growing.

Thanks,
    Kristi
    Spring, TX

• geoff10
    13 years ago

Geoff9 asked me to post these pictures of hi/Volumes/Thumbdrive1/GeoffArm/P1020852.JPGs Hipp. sp Jamacian/Volumes/Thumbdrive1/GeoffArm/P1020850.JPG/Volumes/Thumbdrive1/GeoffArm/P1020851.JPG/Volumes/Thumbdrive1/GeoffArm/P1020853.JPG

13 years ago

Geoff emailed me his photos so that I could help with
    posting. He sent four photos labeled Hipp1, Hipp2,
    Hipp4 and Hipp5. Below is a reduced image of
    each photo - so that you can see the entire photo, followed
    by the full-size image.

(Note that Hipp2 and Hipp5 appear to be the same photo?)

Carol

Hipp1:
    {{gwi:391326}}

{{gwi:391327}}

Hipp2:
    {{gwi:391328}}

{{gwi:391329}}

Hipp4:
    {{gwi:391330}}

{{gwi:391331}}

Hipp5:
    {{gwi:391332}}

{{gwi:391333}}

13 years ago

Geoff, I forgot to comment! Your flowers are lovely! It is amazing that you are getting that many scapes a year. I can tell you that most of us would be happy with four or more. I sometimes get three - maybe four, on a mother-size jumbo bulb, but never more than four. What you have done is truly amazing.

Carol

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I can tell that Hippeastrum striatum var. petiolatum is part of the parentage.

13 years ago

See the other half of the hybrids in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Photos and a Question from Geoff

• geoff9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the knowledge about the amaryllis database. I'll have to get some hapless victim to sort through. I gather the pictures are not quite clear. I'll get a descriptive update on the actual color of the throat. It's in flower again. As for the Jamaican it puts out a few leaves and then goes into flower mode. A very happy adult might throw three scapes for every four leaves for awhile until it reaches burn-out and then it will grow for a bit until the bulb fattens.And that is in an apartment. Where it comes from with unfiltered sun who can tell if there is ever a recovery time. Geoff

Sponsored
More Discussions