Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nopets

my baby is putting up a new leaf

nopets
10 years ago

i have a picture window and the sun is shining through quite well, so I took the Amaryllis that has a new leaf and put it in there, the older leaves are resting on the pots that have the calla lily sprouts and the moonflower seeds, I am hoping the leaves will send food down to the bulb and let it bloom whenever it wants to. Do I have to have a dormancy stage or can I just let it grow? A friend of mine in South Carolina has one and hers grew at Christmas and it is now sending up another stalk! If I don't put it in dormancy will it keep on growing leaves and maybe another bloom?

Comments (12)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Martha,
    You can grow your bulbs as an evergreen houseplants, but they need good light and regular feeding. They'll go into their own cycle for blooming. Most will bloom in the spring if they grow all year. Some will surprise you with an autumn bloom.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have a question, I told you in the last post I had a new leaf standing straight and tall, put it in the picture window so it could get some sun, came back it is laying down like the rest of them, can someone tell me why?

10 years ago

It's likely not getting the right kind of or enough light. Under good conditions the leaves should be strong, green, and standing on their own. I'm afraid that until they can get outside into some good light, you will be fighting this. Even my bulbs in my greenhouse window aren't doing near as well as those in the greenhouse outside. It's a balance and a learning experience.

Put them out when the freeze has passed and you'll see them take off.
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kristi.

• nopets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Until the freeze has passed, could I keep them in the picture window? Also, do you happen to know when the last freeze in our area will be?

10 years ago

I would move them away from the window at night to keep them warmer. I am in zone 9., so I don't know anything about zone 6, except it's colder than zone 9!!

Your best bet is just to watch the weather. If you warm up, set them out in pots. If it's forecast to freeze, bring them in. You'll just need to look at the forecast. This winter has had crazy weather. I wouldn't go by anything being the typical date of a last freeze. Mother Nature is out to prove all the projections wrong!
    K

• nopets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To say that this winter has been crazy is a understatement, in the 20's and 30's one day and the 60's the next. No wonder people get sick so easy. I moved the amaryllis back to the computer desk, it is warmer than the window, I will check and see what the weather is for tomorrow and take it from there.

• nopets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I engineered a home made way to try to keep the leaves from breaking off, I took two pieces of tape and taped the cloth tie from slipping down the dowel rods,

• nopets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought of putting this contraption in the picture window, it has been sunny for the past few days and the sun coming in the window is warm. Would it hurt or help the plant?

• nopets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaf you see with the brown top, could I just cut that one leaf off, will that hurt the plant any?

• nopets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have had both of the Amaryllis plants in the window for quite awhile, and they are doing fine, the plant that has just one leaf is growing 2 more! I put some new soil on it like they say to do, I guess it is happy there, will take a picture when they get bigger.:)

10 years ago

Martha,
    When do you think you'll move them outside? Could you plant them in the ground to allow them to do their best over the summer, and then dig them up and start all over again in the fall?
    Kristi

Sponsored
More Discussions