Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maida_gw

Baby La Paz

Ray Schuck
10 years ago

Here is one I am calling Baby La Paz. It has the coloring of La Paz only on a miniature bloom - only three inches in diameter. It will be interesting to see if it reverts to normal size or not. But is is so cute today as a miniature.
Maida

Comments (15)

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Is this a seedling from a cross?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Very cute, wouldn't it be wonder to have a miniature cybister!! Is this one of your crosses??

Donna

10 years ago

Maida,

Google Hippeastrum Santana and see what you think. There are several pictures but I hesitate to post them as they all belong to someone else. To me it looks quite similar to yours.

Donna.

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Donna,

You read my mind! Maida's photos immediately made me think of cybister 'Santana,' which is one of my cherished treasures. It produces small blooms. Unfortunately, it has been out of production for years.

-Blanca

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pictures of "Santana' look exactly like my picture. I am supposed to have Sanrtana, but some tags have been lost over the years. I will label the plant as 'Santana'. Thanks everyone - Your the best!
    Maida

10 years ago

Maida, I can't wait to see what other gems bloom for you this year in your garden!! Seems like you have lots of special varieties that most of the rest of us don't have so I look forward to seeing what other gems you unearth!! Thanks for sharing and please post pictures of your regular varieties also!

Donna

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Donna,
    I sent you a Thank You e-mail, hope you get it.
    Maida

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hippeastrum papilio x equestre

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NR 0016 Green-Red cybister

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Machala

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Machala

{{!gwi}}

10 years ago

Hi Maida,

Yes I did receive your email and will get back to you either tonight or tomorrow and Thank You!!

So I see that you do have more gems in your garden!! Your papilio x equestre is quite beautiful and in fact someone gave me a few seeds of that cross recently but unfortunately they didn't germinate well for me. Now I see what I am going to miss!

I also have a #0016 but it doesn't ever seem to bloom as beautifully as yours but I do think the fact that you can grow these out in the soil for the whole year makes a big difference. I do however have several vigorous seedlings of #0016 x Exotic Star that are growing splendidly.

Donna

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Donna,
    Yes everything except the Hippeastrum species grow in the yard. The species grow under lights in the garage during the winter and plant stands on the back porch over the summer. I fertilize all the plant beds about every six weeks with a 15-5-10 fertilizer with iron and sulfur. The bulbs grow huge and the hippeastrums love it.
    We don't have to worry about freezes and this winter was about the coldest on record.
    Maida

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Great Growing Maida!

You are so fortunate to be able to grow these beauties in your yard without them being attacked by critters and insects. It must also be fun to discover long forgotten treasures.

Cybister blooming season is just getting started here. I thought that it would be interesting to compare your photos of the same hybrids planted outside with mine, which are grown in pots in solariums.

The resemblance of our papilio x equestre F1 crosses supports the concept that offspring produced from primary (aka interspecific) crosses (i.e., hybrids between different Hippeastrum species) are quite stable in appearance.

Cheers,

Blanca

{{gwi:391585}}

{{gwi:391586}}

{{gwi:391588}}

{{gwi:391590}}

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Lovely blooms ladies!

Papilio produces such pretty babies no matter which one is it's partner. I still have to see an undesirable papilio cross seedling.

Sponsored
More Discussions