Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copyrights

Posted by kaboehm 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 13:48

Over the years there have been lots of discussions about copyrights and protection and registration of copyrights offering additional protection.

Here are a couple of sites that explain that yes...as soon as you take the photo you can put (C) on it (that's supposed to be in a circle) as you can say it's copyrighted, but registration of the copyright provides further protection and gives you additional ammo ("HEY guy, you are using a photo that is copyright registered" and you can get much more $$ damage should you take the legal route....as I did).

Just thought these were interesting. First is about the Berne Convention fo the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works and the second site is just a site that says what advantages copyright registration has.

HAPPY FRIDAY!
Kristi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works

http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/copyrightsandtrademarks/f/whyregistercopyrite.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copyrights

BUMPING MYSELF...can this get incorporated into our FAQ under "How do I protect my photographs?" or something similar?
K

o

Kristi,

Thank you for this!

What happened with your photo that you had to take the legal route? It's not very often you hear someone actually going through with it ;)

Josh

o

It's a very long story, but a printing company had used a copyright REGISTERED photo of mine in an unauthorized manner. It was an underwater photo that was particularly interesting. I gave them many opportunities over 3 months to make it right and pay me for the use. When they called 7 days after the deadline, I told them to call my lawyer...the guy was shocked! A local lawyer had taken the case pro bono since it was a slam dunk...the photo was registered and there was nothing to fight!(see how easy that is)...and he got me more than $10,000 in damages from them (he took his 30-40%), but if they had paid as they should, it would have cost them about $1200. IF I had registered the photo just a few months earlier (my mother was dying and I had better things to do) I could have ruined the company...or so the lawyer says.

SO...think about registering your work. It's not that expensive and nice "insurance".

I speak from actual experience!
Kristi

o

bump...as this may help some who are having photos used without authorization. I don't even know that Josh read this scenario as I got no acknowledgement that he had...
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here