Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

FIRE...the virus

Has anyone had FIRE?? Do you have any photos? I was describing some bulbs' appearance and someone suggested FIRE?

Kristi

Comments (10)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Is that another name for "red blotch" (?) or do we have another virus on our hands..I've never heard of FIRE..

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The seller referred to it as FIRE and said it had been a problem that they had seen in bulbs from "Holland". Now, I have a bulb or 2 with "red blotch"...but they are treated.

THis was on eHow:
    Amaryllis is susceptible to leaf scorch or red fire disease caused by Stagonospora curtsii. The disease affects all plant areas including foliage. Plant growth is deformed at infection sites and red spots appear on the affected area.

Read more: Amaryllis Leaf Problem : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7851008_amaryllis-leaf-problem.html#ixzz1G2zK1OZt

THere was another link to: red fire disease which proves very harmful if not checked. A good treatment is a strong solution of Lysol ��" two teaspoons to one pint of water. Remove the bulbs from the soil and soak three to five hours in the solution before replanting.

SIGH,
    Kristi

13 years ago

Hi,

I thought that Stagonospora curtisii and red blotch were the same thing...do you think this Fire is the same thing?

Several years ago my first attempt at hybridizing, Orange Sovereign selfed (in my own defense, that's the only plant I had when I made the decision to pollenate) yielded about 50 seedlings that I grew on for 1 1/2 years before they all remained totally drenched for an entire summer and came down with red sores, canker like sores and I ended up throwing them all away. (I really didn't know a thing about what I was doing back then) I pulled out 3 of the biggest from the dump pile and dipped them in a 3% bleach solution..leaves roots and all for about 5 minutes. I replanted them and they sat looking dead for the winter in an unheated bedroom. To make a long story short, last spring one of them actually bloomed and the outer damaged scales.. when I pulled them off..underneath the bulbs were nice and green and firm. So, maybe this is the dreaded red fire disease and the Lysol or bleach does the trick.

Here are a few pictures of my doomed seedling from 3 years ago.

{{gwi:392443}}

{{gwi:392444}}

{{gwi:392445}}

This is just conjecture on my part, but my Orange Sovereign seedling is sending up another bud as we speak.. totally cured from the pictures above with it's bleach bath.

Do you think this is all the same malady?

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

They're one in the same

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the 2 types of red I am dealing with...the purplish bulb is really almost hot pink! And then there's the red blotch! When I described the hot pink bulb to the distributor...she called it "fire"...I think it's freeze damage! The other will get a bleach bath tomorrow afternoon!
    K {{gwi:392446}}
    {{gwi:392448}}

13 years ago

Kristi,

Have you tried peeling off one layer on the first one, what's does it look like underneath? The leaves and the bud look fine..maybe if you peeled off the first layer and
    brushed it with captan...I don't see any canker sores like I had...

I'm not so sure there is anything wrong with the second two pink ones..have you peeked under the top layer on those? Maybe your right and it is freeze damage and the pink will turn brown..I'm sure someone else has seen pink bulbs like yours, and I'm thinking I've seen some like yours before too but I don't remember where...

Donna

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

I agree with Donna! Maybe it is only the stronger sunlight!

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Oh mt. This looks like what I have been fighting all winter, but Then again I had major freeze damage. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try the lysol treatment on them.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Kristi,

Are those Cybister hybrids that have the colored bulbs? I noticed that when the bulbs of those get colder they tend to turn those colors

• werqa
    13 years ago

I have had lots of trouble with stagonospoa curtsii (red blotch) in the past. At the start with the purchase of new bulbs some use to sprout bent staulks and eventually later in the season leaves would be slightly patchy in red. After two years most of my new sprouting buds would bend on inching out of the bulb and also losing the much awaited buds.On cosulting a plant health shop I was suggested to spray the plants with a Systemic Fungicide. I do this on intervals of four to six weeks all year round especially when the bulbs are dormant. Unfortunatly plant deases are being spread around. I find that now I do not loose a single flower even though some slight reoccurence of redness on some leaves does happen especially with inconsistance in spraying intervals.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions