Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoff9

Cold dormancy without leaf loss?

geoff9
12 years ago

This is a set of observations involving three species from seed: Hippeastrums blossfeldiae, glaucescens and morelianum. Only the last is understood to be evergreen, as I understand it. Last year plants here had some troubles, so that as fall came I let them tell me when they would go dormant because I wanted them to photosynthesize until the very last moment. They all live in community pots, so each species could only vote as a bloc. Only one of four H. glaucescens slept. None of the three H. blossfeldiaes did. They continues to grow very slowly, and were kept moist, but not soggy. Roots look good. Bulbs grew in size. Now the flower on the biggest H. blossfeldiae is about to open. Bud development appears normal. None of the other two are flowering yet, and all bulbs are a little smaller than the one that is flowering. I can't help wondering how plastic these guys can be. The H. glaucesces that slept had no trouble doing it. It is firmly in the earth. No roots gone there. I would hardly do this with an H. parodi, or with regular commercial ones. They would have me arrested. But the lure and mystery of species growing I do love. Next year it will be interesting to find out if with age a regular dormancy comes into play. Meanwhile, I may have found a trick to help little plants avoid a tough sleep.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions