Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Gethyllis grandiflora blooming

bluebonsai101
14 years ago

Hi All, I was downstairs watering today and was stunned, I mean stunned to see my Gethyllis grandiflora blooming....this is the first ever bloom of a Gethyllis for me and I am so excited!!!! This is a lovely Amaryllid from South Africa that has both beautiful leaves and flowers, or at least I think so:

{{gwi:392803}}

{{gwi:392804}}

I have a spike coming up for the first time on my cross of Hippi blossfeldiae x striatum as well and also on my normal H. striatum so I will likely cross these back again. Assuming they bloom nicely I will try to post pics in a couple weeks :o) Dan

Comments (20)

• jackie_o
    14 years ago

Wow that IS exciting! Congratulations Dan!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    14 years ago

I've never seen anything quite like that!! That's really Beautiful!!

Donna

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys!!! I've been looking around and it seems G. grandiflora on the web has pure white flowers......obviously different from this....I need to send the pic to some people in SA and make sure the species is as advertised when I got it a few years back......the leaves look right, but the flower is more beautiful than any I've seen on the web (in my opinion anyway)......I'm sure glad I decided to water today as I do not think the flowers last long on these :o) Dan

• haweha
    14 years ago

This is truly amazing. Never seen anything like that before. The white crispy matter is the leaves of the previous season, and the whitish envelope in the center is composed from bracteous leaves; am I right?! This is a little miracle!!! WHO would ever have a clue that this IS actually an Amaryllid?! And, the scape of the single flower is so short so that the basis of the flower - namely the ovary in the case of amaryllids - is hidden.
    Thank you for sharing, this is transcendental :-)

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, you have it if I understood everything correctly!! These are odd plants and the overy is below ground such that the seed is produced below ground as well and then expelled to the surface.....that way it is protected from the extreme heat and also from being eaten until the seed are ripe. What is odd is that normally the flower is produced in the heat of summer when there are no leaves.....then the fruit is produces in the fall just as it is getting to the rainy season. That way the seed can germinate if things are favorable.....why mine is flowering now with the leaves is odd, but I'm just so excited to see it that I could care less :o) Dan

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Dan, very cool blooms. Gotta love spring and the blooms it brings. Alana

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree Alana, and I am sooooo glad that spring is finally here....the Crocus are blooming, the Daffs are up and the sun has been shining....now when it gets cold and rainy it is really going to be depressing :o) Dan

• elizabeth_jb
    14 years ago

Awesome! Awesome! Absolutely Awesome!

Thank you so much for sharing.

Ann

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ann, it is surely the most bizarre Amaryllid I have ever gotten to bloom!!! My big Rauhia decora just had its first flower open today as well so looking forward to some more plants to take pics of in the not-too-distant future :o) Dan

• dancacti
    14 years ago

beautiful.

I want one!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Strange & beautiful!!!!

• npublici
    14 years ago

Apparently,you've been doing something right.
    You sure know how to tempt someone to grow just one more thing. I'm already hopelessly hooked on Hippeastrum,with more than I can do,looming on the horizon,a constant problem.
    Del

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dancacti, I'm sure these must be grown in OZ as it seems there are a lot of growers of SA plants there....hopefully you can track one down!!

Jan, glad you liked it.

Del, you know what they say, better to be lucky than good.....I'm happy being a lot lucky and a little good. I imagine if you cross a bunch of Hippis it must be tough to keep up with all the babies you can produce. I decided to pollinate my Rauhia decora last year and ended up with 250+ seedlings.....even though I put 20 seed per pot that still adds a lot of extra watering and care to a busy schedule so I know where you are coming from :o) Dan

• brigarif Khan
    14 years ago

What a sight. Where can I get one.

• mariava7
    14 years ago

Yummy-licious!!!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

brigarif, like most of my unusual bulbs this one was imported.....in this case I got it from South Africa.

Maria, glad you liked it :o) Dan

• huernia
    13 years ago

Hello Dan...
    Gethyllis must be up there amongst the most beautiful of bulbs...do you know of a reputable source in South Africa that I can try ordering bulbs or seed from ?
    Thanks
    Sarah

• venkyblr
    13 years ago

Beautiful. It certainly is only of its kind.

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Its so beautiful..!!

• paul_
    13 years ago

Such a large flower for such a small plant!

Sponsored