Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilly_mama

What am I doing wrong?

daylilly_mama
16 years ago

I bought an amaryllis Christmas 2004. It bloomed that year. I cut the foilage when the flower and the foilage

wilted. I planted it outside in the spring. It grew foilage but no flower. I took it in when fall arrived. I put it in the closet for 8 weeks. Then I brought it out and planted it in moisture grow and it flowered again. The next spring I planted it outside again but it repeated the same pattern that summer. I went about the same procedure in the fall and this time no flowers. This has happened two years in a row. HELP!

Comments (3)

• salpal
    16 years ago

Hello daylilly mama-
    It is my understanding that you have been cutting the foliage of your amaryllis when it "wilts". Typically one lets it bloom, then allows the foliage to continue to grow and waters it while it does so. Your amaryllis should not wilt unless you don't water it. Please try this: 1. Water it and let it bloom 2. water it when leaves grow and never cut leaves 3. Put outside in the spring. 4. In the fall put it in a cool place for at least 8 weeks.(don't water) 5. Bring in to warmth, water, let it grow. Don't overwater, but water enough to keep it alive and let it bloom, never cutting the leaves. 6. Put it outside/start over. To summerize: water when in growth, never cut green leaves until fall and also research the excellant information on this forum, you shall be rewarded with blooms!

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Hello Daylily and welcome. =) First and foremost, in the two years that your amaryllis has failed to bloom for you, Have you repotted the bulb? Have you provided fertilizer/food during growing season? How big is your bulb? How many leaves does your bulb make during it's time growing outside? (general rule of thumb: for every four leaves, you might get a SINGLE scape). If your bulb is growing in size (circumference) and growing many healthy leaves, you should be good to go. However, generally, most people re-pot their bulbs atleast every 1-2 years in fresh potting medium so that may be one of your problems if you've been neglecting to do so. Amaryllises are very heavy feeders so I would recommend feeding weakly, but weekly every week with a diluted fertilizer in every other watering during the spring and summer when they are at their growing peak. Good lighting is important as well. By any chance, do you have a picture of your bulb currently? The care that you put into your bulb from now on (Spring approaches us soon!), will reward you with as much care as you put into it. I'm sure other people on this forum will be able to better assist you as well. Good luck! =)

• daylilly_mama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I have repotted the bulb every year. I have fed it. It could be the lighting. It sits in a SE window and gets indirect sun. Thank you both for the advice because I am determined that I will get it to bloom again.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions