Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Report on germinating seeds for 2013

My first cross of Chico x PapExStasy started out looking good. I had 5 pods and I got loads of small seeds but after soaking, they all were streaked with red. It got worse, the seedlings just started to turn to mush. I threw the last of them away a few weeks ago.

My second attempt fared much better. Both papilio seedpods opened to a good number of healthy seeds although the pap x Chico cross had a good number of pock marked seeds. The pap xTango/frozen Ruby Star pollen cross produced a greater number of good seeds. Both crosses are germinating with fat healthy seedlings. Good size, no red, and no mush.

Most all of the Tango/Ruby Star seedlings that I soaked germinated almost as soon as they hit the water so I think this must be a vigirous cross.

{{gwi:392967}}

The Chico cross germinated well also but not as quickly and not as many as the other.

{{gwi:392968}}

I have lost all attempts on Sweet Lilian and there were many..and all attempts on Pink Diamond bit the dust too. I have lost too many more to mention but it's still going to be a good year.

I am sitting here staring at 4 large pods on Sumatra (which selfed themselves) and I don't really want to grow them on so when they ripen if anyone would like some just let me know. There will be others that I will offer up too. I think I am going to have lots of seeds to give away again this season.

Here are the self selfed Sumatra pods:

{{gwi:392969}}

I do have several other papilio crosses that also took using papilio as the pollinator!

Thanks for looking,

Donna

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions