Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Pink Garden Amaryllis?

jodik_gw
15 years ago

A while ago, I was fortunate enough to find some bulbs locally labeled "Pink Garden Amaryllis". I expected a normal pink color, as pinks generally go. I can't really describe this particular color... it's a crimson rose red in certain light, but hot pink-red in other lighting! It's amazing, but next to impossible to capture accurately with my camera!

These are less than stellar shots, but perhaps you can get an idea of what I mean... in the meantime, I'll keep trying to get better pictures of this wild hot pink-red flower!

{{gwi:393100}}

{{gwi:393102}}

Queen of Hearts and Pink Impression are both touting new scapes of blooms...

{{gwi:393103}}

Queen of Hearts is as short and stubby as ever, but her blooms are spectacular!

{{gwi:393104}}

{{gwi:393105}}

And Pink Impression is lovelier than ever!

{{gwi:393107}}

Exposure is another pink beauty, though lighter in shade.

{{gwi:393108}}

So, needless to say, my world is colored pink at the moment... in all different shades! If I could only capture that hot, flaming, dogwood rose, pinky-red color that the Garden Variety is wearing... I'll keep trying!

Thanks for looking! Have a wonderful Sunday!

Comments (11)

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Jodi,

Is this dark pink one of the ones that you got from Lowes?

I bought those as well, and one was a lighter, more frilled pink, but this one surprised me.

It reminds me of Donau, but I can't be sure.

I am having the same problem (capturing the exact color).

Whatever it is, it is certainly gorgeous! I am curious as to whether your source is the same as mine.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't remember if it was purchased at Home Depot or Menard's or Lowe's... one of those stores, though, yes! I was very surprised they even carried them! I should have grabbed another couple of packages, but... I just didn't. My bad!

I did buy two of them, and the second bulb is in bud right now. I can't be sure what shade it will be as the bud is still tightly furled and young, still growing. I almost hope it's the same as this one!

It's an incredible color that almost defies description! The closest name I could find for the color is "dogwood rose"... if that tells you anything at all. I love it!

I don't have a Donau, so I've never seen that one up close... I thought it was more of a red, though I could be totally wrong. All I can say about these Garden bulbs is... WOW! :-)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Jodi,

Nice group of pink flowers.
    Thanks for sharing.

Jan

• e36yellowm3
    15 years ago

Raspberry sorbet? Or more like raspberry sauce? Reminds me of something along those lines - like some really delicious dessert-y kind of indulgence. I love that Exposure too. I bought one at S&H (the resuce bulb the lady sold me for $4) but I think it's already spent for this season. Glad it's gonna be so pretty but I'll have to wait a while for that one. And I like the stumpy Queen. Don't need to stake her! Darn, I like them all. Alana

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Jodi, the one I have that Maria ID'd as Donau is a crimson pink shade, not really a 'pink-pink'.
    Donau indoors this year-
    {{gwi:393110}}From Amaryllis 2008-09

Your's sure is a pretty one. But these colors are sometimes hard to capture if not in person. The pic above is pretty darn close to the actual color of mine. The bloom generally in big bouquets and the flower is smallish.
    Last year outside-it looks more red outdoors!
    {{gwi:393111}}From Amaryllis

I swear that Q of H is exactly like my Novella...mine was stubby, too. Alas the bud I thought I was getting on it turns out to be a bulblet...so Jan will get to enjoy this one on me!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you... I'm only too happy to share!

It's wonderful to have all these pinks in bloom at the same time! The pollinating will be fun!

Cindee, this Garden Pink looks like a combination of your two pictures, with regard to its color... though the shape is different. This one is more of a trumpet with a larger petal flare... the shape of your Donau reminds me of Rapido... another beautiful red!

Yes... raspberry! That's it, Alana! Deep raspberry! It's positively luscious!

If the second bulb turns out the same, I'm going to see if Home Depot, or whichever store I got them at, has any left... I'll cash in my pennies if I have to! They weren't that much... somewhere around $3.98, I think. I bet they're gone, though... I don't recall seeing them last time we were out and about. Something this pretty doesn't stay on the shelf very long!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Hey Cindee, your donau is very pretty! I see you got yourself a new camera, sure did a good job on the photo above. Congrats in order. Yes the donau baby bulblet is snugle in a tiny pot growing.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

LOL Jan those photos were from last month when Donau was in bloom! Didn't feel so hot today so I didn't go camera shopping. Maybe next week.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Another winner in my book...You all have the prettiest flowers they make me drool..Lol

• brigarif Khan
    15 years ago

The camera does not capture the colour and the texture as you see it. In fact the human perception also varies from individual to individual and so does the liking.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Sometimes, my camera does a good job of accurately showing what I see... and other times, it just can't grab the right shade of color or the texture. I always feel good when I can show the fairy dust that sparkles on some of these blooms, though! That's an accomplishment, I feel!

Arif is correct, though... we each perceive things a bit differently, and of course we each have different likes and dislikes... but I think we're all agreed that Hippeastrums in general are something special!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions