Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

disapointment in seedpods...

In the beginning of the season I had fairly good luck with my seedpods..not so lately. My 2 huge Lima selfed pods yielded about 30 seeds and I'm not even sure about those.. ( I've saved some for JoJo but I'm not optimistic) the rest were very bad or just chaff. I lost my almost ready Benfica selfed..gonzo..I only got about a dozen viable looking seeds from Peach Parfait x Flaming Peacock, and I lost two pods of Summertime (pink for Carol):-( I also lost a really good looking pod of Red Pearl x Lima :-(

I'm still waiting on Mocca selfs and Exotica x Mocca..and 3 crosses on Evergreen (2 Exotic Star and 1 x Lima..(there were more but that's all that survived so far) Also a gigantic Exotic Star x Flaming Peacock..probably all bad too. And many more, too many to mention.. but just when you get cocky the tables turn..I certainly don't need any more seeds, but I just like to give them away..!

Oh, and a very strange looking Charisma x Alfresco..if there is any thing inside that huge pod I'll be looking for takers..I'll keep you posted.

Seedpod maker,Donna

Comments (8)

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Hey, me too. I've had zero luck making seeds. I pollinated, and had seedpods set. Each time they swell up to about the size of a grape, then suddenly shrivel and yellow. I'd love to know the trick...

Angela

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that. :\ I know how you feel when you want to make crosses but they fail. I purchased Green Dragon and Candy Floss(?). The Green dragon had three blooms and I selfed them since nothing else was blooming. None took. Then the Candy Floss(?) had four blooms. I selfed two blooms and cross-pollinated the other two with pollen from Green Dragon. So far, three pods shriveled up while the final pod, selfed, is still swelling. No idea if any of the seeds are good yet.

I do have the Green Dragon and Candy Floss(?) pollen saved to use on the reds and pink/white outdoors if they send up any blooms. This winter has been so weird and the leaves were stung several times by random frosts when it dropped to low 30's. I don't know if that's affected the blooms because I haven't seen any come up yet.

• chickens_on_mars
    12 years ago

Some things just won't take. I'm running around a 30% success rate on crosses this year but happy with what I do get. Getting crowded under the grow lights.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Donna, my Charisma x Alfresco took last year and I have seedlings. Hope yours does as well!
    Kristi

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Phooey. Thanks for the update, though, it's really interesting despite the disappointing news. Keep us posted on the ones that DO take. :) I'm taking a break this year since I've just go so many seedlings going from the last couple of years. Looking forward to everyone's seed, pod, seedling, and bloom updates. Happy gardening all!

• haxuan
    12 years ago

Donna, I recently crossed a few blooms of mine and harvested the first seed pot a few weeks ago. Although the seeds looked "bad", ie I couldn't feel the "lump", I tried them in water and they sprouted. Look!

{{gwi:393327}}

Maybe the same with yours?

Should you have any spares on your Red pearl selfed, may I have some? Thank you in advance.

Xuan

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Xuan,
    My first pod of selfed Red Pearl aborted, but I have selfed 2 on the second scape and I did this for you..so, hopefully there will be some seeds!! I also have a good looking selfed pod on Benfica so I'll send some of those also.. It's a toss-up between Red Pearl and Benfica as to which I like the most!!

My Lima x Lima yielded mostly bad seeds, but I decided to try as you have done and soak them separately anyway. So far nothing. I've had seeds with no palpable embryo but my bad Lima seeds all had pock-marks on them..but I got a few.. hopefully viable seeds.

Donna

• mariava7
    12 years ago

Crossing exotics is a long and winding road.
    There will be more failures than success.
    {{gwi:393328}}

Don't let these disappoinments stop you though.
    Learn and enjoy along the way.
    Keep on trying and keep VERY GOOD records to guide you.
    They do help sometimes.
    Good Luck!!!

{{gwi:393329}}

Happy Spring to all!!!
    {{gwi:393330}}

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County