Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Advice Needed Please.... unhealthy seedlings...

Hi Everyone,

Well today I went through several of my advanced seedlings that are just about ready to be planted and removed about 10 bad seedlings from about 3 saucers of soaking seeds. The rest of the seedlings are fine..nice and green and the tiny bulb shows no signs of disease. But, several of them did and as you can see in the pictures the red has actually eaten away at the tiny bulb already..does this mean that these particular seedling already have stagonospora curtisii? In the past I have had this problem and sometime I would plant them and sometimes I would toss them. Today I tossed them and pulled one out of the garbage to take it's picture. These seedlings have some a long way and now they are being eaten away..What is this and what causes this and do the rest of you have the same problem..we do have fluoridated water, and I just use it from the tap. I have a couple of hundred healthy seedling from the last 2 years growing splendidly..so what is your opinion of this problem..and what do you all do for it..

Not every dish of soaking seedlings does this, and in a few cases all seedlings of any particular variety have this problem. Now I pulled about 4 of these damaged seedling from my cups of papilio x misty/sweet nymph and the other 20 or so are just fine.

It doesn't seem to matter how far along the seedlings are, some show signs of red from the very beginning.

No fungus gnats swimming in the water...

I would appreciate any and all thoughts for this problem. Thanks,

Donna

Healthy seedling..

{{gwi:393392}}

unhealthy seedlings with bulb partially eaten away...sometimes the red goes down into the root as well..

{{gwi:393395}}

{{gwi:393399}}

Donna

Comments (8)

• haweha
    13 years ago

TThis does not look convincingly like "eaten away" to me.
    I presume that there is a genetic disposition in some specimens, that makes them susceptible to the unnatural condition of soaking in water (= hypoosmotic, causing hyperhdratation and subsequent rupture). If this occurrs but to a reasonable, minor %age, then I would consider the respective specimens inferior and not "take this to heart" too much!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hans-Werner.

Well, that is encouraging news..has this happened to you or any others of you out there also?

And, what about the seedlings that display some red color in the bulb and root, but don't actually have the same disintegration of the bulb...the same..?

Thanks,

Donna

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Donna, I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. I start all of my seeds in soil now, so I can't help. I never had this happen before. I do hope you find out what it is.

Carol

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I've had this problem too, I'm not sure what or why! I noticed that if I keep my seed and water covered well with saran wrap and only take off when I'm transplanting it REALLY cuts down the amount of seeds that end up with this problem! Most that are covered and stay covered never have this problem ;)

Good Luck!

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

I never ever cover my seedlings when they are soaking..but why would that help to cover them..? I religiously change the water at least twice a week..so evaporation isn't a problem. Do you think I'm changing the water too often? Luckily, it's usually just a small percentage. I will cover the next round of seeds that I soak and see what happens.

And by the way, it is only last year that I actually started soaking my seeds before planting..before.. I'd just put them in their trays and of course only a portion would germinate, so I don't know if this has been a problem in the past.

Thanks for your advice,

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

I'm not sure if you've ever heard of Tissue Culture but when you do this you're having a part of a plant grow in an agar. They have to be in completely sterile environments because the conditions are favorable for not only the seed or plant to grow but also other pathogens that may enter the water. Once the pathogens start to grow the TC sample is ruined. This is why TC is done in labs and not usually at home! I've known a few that have done such things in their home but sterility has to be the FIRST priority!

When floating seed it's possible for pathogens to enter the water and grow amongst the seed, these pathogens can feed on the plant *hence rot*. It's also important to keep your hands out of the water as they can carry things as well!

When I started covering my plants immediately upon putting in the water *never touching anything* I found I didn't need to change the water as it never grew dirty. The seed also proved to be more viable.

Good Luck

Josh

Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh,

Yes, I am familiar with tissue culture, but never gave it a thought that the water should remain sterile for germinating seeds..thinking that the soil certainly isn't sterile when you plant these seeds directly in the soil. And yes, of course, I have touched these seeds with my hands many times..without washing my hands first.

I will definitly give your method a try..with my next batch of seeds. Would be wonderful if the solution could be so simple..thanks again, and how often do you change your water?

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

If I keep from putting my fingers in the water and cover immediately then I don't have to change the water, maybe occasionally add some until the first leaf is large enough to handle.

What I do is I buy clear plastic cups, I fill them with about 3/4 water and I pour the seeds in and cover immediately! I put them in a very well lit area and a couple weeks later *at most* they are ready for their new homes!

I'm not sure what is really the difference between the soil and water, maybe different things grow considering it is much more wet? I do know that in soil you MUST contain that exact moisture level because if it's too moist they'll rot or damp off and too dry they'll obviously shrivel?

I've known several people that actually put a drop of peroxide into the water to help keep the pathogens away!

Josh *btw, I will reply to your e-mail today, I'm recovering from a pretty rough surgery and I'm finally starting to feel much better ;P *