Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Is this Hercules?

Hi, I posted this picture at the end of someone else's thread and I guess no one saw it.

I bought this as Hercules, but I thought it sort of looked like the bulb that Dragonstone got instead of Candy Floss that I though might be Milady.

The color is really intense and I took these shots outside out of the sun with no flash and the color is pretty accurate. At first I though she was another Pink Diamond, but she's not. Just wondering if you guys do think this is Hercules..she has absolutely no roots, so I can only imagine what she would look like when she's not so stressed!! Thanks...

{{gwi:393473}}

{{gwi:393475}}

{{gwi:393477}}

So, do you think this is Hercules..I was looking at pictures on the internet and LaForest Morton looks sort of like this also. I bought a LaForest Morton (I think) this year too but it's hasn't even thought about blooming...

Comments (8)

• haxuan
    12 years ago

Whatever it is, your bloom is very beautiful, Donna. I like the intense pink.

Xuan

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

IDK what it is but it sure is pretty!

You always take such amazing pictures.

• dragonstone
    12 years ago

I agree with Josh. What camera are you using? It seems with colors like those, my camera tends to blur them together but everything else is fine.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My camera blurs also with reds and near reds. I failed miserably when my Benfica just bloomed. When I have an intense color like this, I wait until late in the afternoon and go out on the deck on the South side of the house and snap sometimes dozens of photos until I get some I'm satisfied is the accurate color moving the face of the flowers this way and that way..not so with reds unfortunately. I just have have a tiny Sony camera with 12.1mega pixels, (which is now obsolete) and of course I always use macro..never a flash with a color like this...People who really know cameras (certainly not me) go in and change whatever it is that allows light through and then you have to change it back. I also have a 8.1 Sony mega pixel which takes an equally good photo.

I'm not always as successful as I was with this intense pink, my husband was amazed that I did manage to get it exactly right..doesn't always happen. I have to say, whatever this flower is.. it is thee most eye catching, almost florencent, intense rose pink I have ever seen! I guess I'll continue to call her/him Hercules until another ID comes up..Happy shooting,
    Donna

• seaj
    12 years ago

Now that's what I call PINK! Sadly my own collection has nothing in that color range at least when it comes to hipps. Have you tried comparing it to the stats listed on the Hadeco site?

To get the most accurate colors when taking pictures, it might help to fiddle with your white balance. I think every camera, including my point-and-shoot camera, allows the photographer to manually control the white balance in one way or another. It's worth looking into your camera manual if you still have it even though it's clear that you know how to take great pictures already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hadeco Amaryllis

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Donna, you remember this old thread and my similar problem?

Boy, those pinks are gorgeous!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Carol,

Well, I must thank you for reviving that wonderful thread!! I enjoyed it all over again and looked at it twice!! That being said, I didn't see anything that looked like my Hercules..I have selfed a couple of blooms, (didn't get the pollen off in time to do a cross except for one flower..what should I put on it? Any suggestions?) I have some pinks coming along for you..I haven't forgotten. I have 2 pods on Summertime x Sweet Nymph..one looks pretty viable but has a ways to go. Pink Diamond is working on a new pod.. as is Exposure..and hopefully I will at least get one selfed pod on my Herc to grow.. (no roots yet) I should most definitly be "In the Pink" with seeds in a month or so..and you can just throw them in ground down there in paradise and hopefully a few will grow for you!!

Donna

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Donna, I do love your flowers, no matter what the name. They are really pretty. Looking back at that old thread, I see that Josh was the one who suggested Neon. I now have two and boy were you right, Josh! They are the best of the pink world. It sure was funny, though, when I was running around pollinating everything in sight with Neon's pollen. Joke's on me!!

Donna, I planted the seeds you sent before and I know they came up, but I had so many seeds - trays and trays - that I'm not sure which ones were yours. I can tell you that they are all in the ground and so they are happy somewhere in my yard. :)

With the mild winter, the scapes are coming up much earlier than usual. Should have a quite a show around here in about 3-4 weeks! :)

Carol

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions