Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macroclemys

My first seedling bloom!

macroclemys
10 years ago

I finally have a seedling photo to share. I did not keep records in 2011 when I planted this, but since I had only two varieties at the time, there are only 4 possibilities Amigo x Minerva, Minerva x Amigo, Minerva selfed, or Amigo selfed. It seems to be one of the first two, since it has the pattern of Minerva and the more saturated color of Amigo. Unfortunately it has only two flowers on the scape.

Comments (4)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Really pretty color and shape! Well done!
    Are there more to come??
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

It's very pretty with a nice bright face and definitely looks like Minerva! I'm sure that the next time it blooms it will give you the customary 4 flowers.
    We all start out with simple crosses, I did the same when I only had a few bulbs. I've had 6 of my Fairy Tale x Lemon Stars bloom and they are all basically the same, very pale and quite uninteresting. Only 1 is a keeper so far and that's a stretch.

Did you return from your trip in time to get photos of the other two Komoriya bulbs that you had buds on?

Donna

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristi,
    Yes, a few more will be blooming soon, so I am looking forward to comparing them. Donna, I put those two in a cool room to slow them down while gone. Piyo-piyo should bloom soon and Moonshine will take a little longer. Will be posting photos as they flower.
    Bill

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few more seedlings from the same set of possibilities (Amigo and Minerva, selfed or crossed).

This first is almost certain to be Amigo selfed. The flowers are all irregularly shaped, but the color is a nice deep red, deeper than captured here, and almost as dark as Benefica)
    {{gwi:393579}}

And a couple more.

{{gwi:393580}}

All of these will probably become gifts for friends and family next year, or will be left in the ground over winter in search for hardy clones.

Bill