Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maida_gw

Help ID this Hippeastrum

Ray Schuck
10 years ago

I bought these two plants from a local nursery. The blooms are a very dark red almost black and about three inches across. One has five blooms and the other has two scapes coming.
Thanks,
Maida

Comments (23)

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the same bloom from a different direction.
    Maida

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

T^his is the second plant.
    Maida

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the same bloom from a different direction.
    Maida

{{!gwi}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

H. Black Pearl or H. Benefica?
    Which local nursery?
    K

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The blooms are much smaller than Black Pearl or Benefica. One measured only two inch across. The color is much darker than the pictures almost a black. I found them at Maas Nursery in Seabrook. They have several more with the burgundy stems and I assume that they will be the same plant. They have several other blooming plants and I bought a LaPaz and a Rio Negro, but they were labeled.
    Maida

10 years ago

Labeled? Or mislabeled?
    K

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not labeled at all, just assorted amaryllis. I wonder if this could be Bordeaux Rascal that Royal Colors was going to sell a few years ago but could never deliver. The color is much darker than Black Pearl or Benefica. I have both of them, but this is something completely different.
    Maida

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one has the same color and size as the one I bought, but it has a longer trumpet so it is not the same plant.
    Maida

• lenanen
    10 years ago

What a great find Maida! Congrats! Very impressive color indeed. Hopefully someone would be able to id them.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Your flowers are very similar to Kristi's and seemingly exactly the same color so it seems since the other isn't yet available you've got the next best thing!! Good for you!!

Donna

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that they are indeed Bordeaux Rascal. They are a Sonatini type and look identical to the picture on Royal Colors except a little darker red. I think that I will go back to the nursery when they open Tuesday and ask them where they got the bulbs. I may buy some more if they still have them. They were $19.99 each.
    Maida

10 years ago

The photo that you posted was my photo of the overall winner at Keukenhof 2010. I find it doubtful, although strange things happen, that this prize would show up as an unlabeled bulb in a Houston-area nursery.

When I asked the breeder about this bulb earlier in the season, I believe the reply was that they were still in propagation mode. There was some question about whether or not this beauty in the photo was Bordeaux Rascal, being sold by RC. It is not.
    Kristi

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 21:32

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristi,
    I said that the plant I have is not the one in the picture, just that the color was the same. The plant in the picture has a much longer trumpet shape than the one I have. I do think that the one I have is Bordeaux Rascal as it has the same color and shape. The bloom is tiny, only two to three inches across and much darker that any other amaryllis I have ever seen. I hope that the people at the nursery know where the bulbs came from.
    Maida

10 years ago

That would be helpful if they could tell you the source! Yes, the trumpet shape of the Keukenhof winner, in addition to the color, was quite remarkable and the topic of conversation immediately following the judging.
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 22:14

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I love the trumpet shape. I hope that they can bring the plant to market. Believe me that the plant I have does not look like anything else. I have approximately 300 varieties of amaryllis not including the Hippeastrum species and the crosses growing on. It does seem strange that they would show up in a small local nursery and not some big bulb dealer. I selfed all the flowers that were open. The first bloom on the second plant is just starting to open. It also is small. I wish you could see how dark the blooms actually are.
    Maida
    Maida

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Here's a crazy thought: Maybe they put the trumpet shaped one (Bordeaux Rascal) through tissue culture and they didn't bloom out exactly like the original (with the trumpet shape) and they are just wholesaling them off because they aren't an exact match. I told you it was a crazy idea... Anyway I think you are lucky to have them and it will be interesting to see them bloom for you another year to see what shape they arrive at when not under stress and are well rooted. And, I hope you have the opportunity to buy a few more!!

Donna

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went back to the nursery. They had about 100 bulbs for sale, all were labeled except the dark red ones. I talked to the owner about where they got the bulbs. They said from a national distributor..They said they would try to get more information about where they came from and the name. They took my name and phone number, but I doubt that I will ever hear back for them. All the bulbs have two bloom stalks. I bought three more, but they have several left. I wish I knew more about them. I am going to self everyone of the blooms and see what I get in a couple of years.
    Maida

10 years ago

Maida, as you know most nurseries buy from only one or two sources for something like Hippeastrum. Chances are they are from the same source as the labeled bulbs. You could always contact the seller and ask if they sold unlabeled bulbs to your specific nursery.

Good luck!
    K

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the Amaryllis had made up names like Diamond Baby Star and Diamond White Nymph. I don't
    know who uses the Diamond label on their amaryllis.
    Maida

10 years ago

Baby Star and White Nymph are the hybrid names. Diamond is the group that KAVB uses. I think Leo Berbee uses the group on some of their tags. You could ask Marjolein in sales if she recognizes this bloom. She can be a great help.
    K

10 years ago

I just love a good mystery!! What about H. Scarlet Baby. Grower is degooijer....you said the bloom is very small and the name suggests that this would be a small bloom.
    K

• blancawing
    10 years ago

MaidaâÂÂs bulb is definitely not 'Scarlet Baby,' but I may have a minor clue. In April 2009, I purchased several Sonatini mixes from Brecks because I really wanted 'Orange Rascal.' When my order arrived, there was a note inside saying that the grower had a crop failure and no 'Orange Rascal' bulbs were available. In their place, the grower substituted several unreleased and unnamed varieties, which I called "Mystery Sonatinis." They were planted in community pots, which yielded many lovely surprises. One of the bulbs produced the darkest purple-red flowers I have ever seen (except in photos of Barnhoorn #1500 - the Keukenhof 2010 Small Flower winner). There were some other little jewels in the assortment too.
    -Blanca

• Ray Schuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one had to come from somewhere. I hope I can get a lot of seed selfing it and I will be glad to share with whoever wants to try it. Maybe we can get even closer to black.
    Maida

Sponsored
Bowers Design Build
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Fairfax County Design Build Firm Family Owned since 1990