Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Snapshots of

Here's a current snapshot of some of what is blooming. Except for Exotic Nymph, which is new, these are all older bulbs that have bloomed year after year. Giraffe is the one that rotted down to a "bowl" in 2010. I babied it and it filled back in and has bloomed the past 2 years.
K

Comments (28)

• bluebonsai101
    11 years ago

Looks like a GH full of color....very lovely :o) Dan

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dan... Another 40+ bulbs have scapes, so plenty more color to come!
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Wow.... 40+ more that are yet to bloom!?! What a spectacular show of beauty. -Tina

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I'm thinking that Giraffe and papilio might like to get together and do their thing...;-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, what are you envisioning by this coupling?
    I'm thinking Pap on Pink Star...I would love a PinkPap!

11 years ago

Well, I can see beautiful flowers looking like papilio but with different hues to the colors, hopefully more flowers per scape with the same lovely shape. Maybe it's just me but I can see beautiful flowers coming from these two. Does anyone else agree?

{{gwi:393742}}

And of course a pink papilio would be the ultimate but I would think you would need a very strong pink, nothing too wishy washy. I have some seedpods of Lavender Blue x papilio that I am really starting to get psyched about..my fingers are really crossed as they keep getting bigger and bigger. Hopefully Lavender Blue is a saturated enough pink to add some good pink color in the mix.You've probably already got some pods growing with pap and a strong pink...if Pink Star is pale, I wouldn't bother...(just my opinion of course)..

Here are my seedpods that I'm so excited about. Even if I can get a few good seeds I'd be thrilled!

Lavender Blue x papilio (both pods):

{{gwi:393743}}

and here are the parents of the seedpods:

{{gwi:393744}}

How many Giraffe flowers do you have?

Donna

I just want to add that I mistakenly posted that both pods were Lavender Blue x papilio, the right hand one is x PapExStasy ( papilio x Exotic Star). Good thing I had labeled them!! The left is x papilio..both are still viable!

{{gwi:393745}}

I really love this editing ability!!

I am editing this to announce that both of the above pods with Lavender Blue have failed....

This post was edited by dondeldux on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 8:44

Original Author
    11 years ago

Since Papilio and Giraffe are both nice, I don't imagine their kids being unattractive.

Giraffe is only giving 2 blooms per scape, so no improvement there as far as number of blooms. Now Evergreen has 9 blooms....that would be a nice trait to contribute to Giraffe-like blooms!!

I'm just thinking that Pink Star, being a smaller Tet might have a better chance. Yup...lots of things in the works, but I'm not counting seeds til the pods hatch!

K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 17:24

Original Author
    11 years ago

Limona and Exotica have joined the party.
    K

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

For many years, I have been attempting to coax my Giraffe bulbs to accept papilio pollen, and I applaud your efforts to try the cross. My G. bulbs rebloom regularly and mostly produce 4 lovely blooms per scape. The cross also makes sense to me because G. is reputed to have papilio heritage (and to my eye it does). It has been disappointing that my attempts have consistently failed. My GâÂÂs have also rejected Chico, Lima, and Green Dragon pollen (to name a few). I wish you success in making this cross a reality.

I am also rooting for your vibrant Lavender Blue x papilio seedpods. I have several LB bulbs from different Maguires orders, but I havenâÂÂt ever tried that cross. I think that you will have some real beauties even if you only get a few viable seeds!

Best,

Blanca

Original Author
    11 years ago

Meant to include a photo....
    K

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Lovely flowers, I just found a few more scapes today, and let the waiting begin

• mariava7
    11 years ago

The rules are there to guide you. But don't let them stop you from reaching your dreams. You'll never know unless you try. Try and try and try until you succeed.

Pollinate away ...
    {{gwi:393746}}

{{gwi:393747}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Maria!! Amazing number of pods!
    Congratulations.
    K

• mariava7
    11 years ago

Running now to around 9 years of honeymoon-ing with the amaryllises Kristi, and they still continue to amaze and educate me. Thank goodness for the records that I have kept all these years. They have become a necessary tool for me which is more essential than my pollinating brush.

Try papilio on Exotica Kristi. You might be surprised or should I say...be blessed. ; )

This post was edited by mariava7 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 22:34

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Wow! I cannot believe all those seed pods mariava! Oh my goodness... so much potential for something new and wonderful! -Tina

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

:O Holy frig. That's a lot of seedpods! You're gonna be knee deep in seeds pretty soon.

11 years ago

Maria!

I do have a seedpod of Exotica x papilio ripening as we speak! It's starting to look particularly wrinkly so I am a bit worried about what's inside but will be thrilled if I can end up with even a few viable seeds!

Those pictures of your seedpods are amazing. I love all the different shapes. Good Luck with your harvest and nice to hear from you again on the forum...Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 6:45

• pupu999
    11 years ago

Maria, You scared me! Well Done!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Maria,
    I'll try it. I also keep records (number of scapes, number of blooms, and crosses made that 'took')...although last year's sheet got eaten but a certain young dog, who shall remain nameless!
    K

• mariava7
    11 years ago

Thanks guys and gals!

These are all cybister seedpods with "Made to Order" seeds. There have been so much requests and I got so little to offer in the past years. So I pollinated away this season. It is a hard and brain draining task with a lot of failures. The successful ones will carry my dreams.

Anyway...Exotica besides being beautiful and a performer is another Hippie that I consider "universal". It accepts tet pollens, some diploid pollens and some triploid pollens. I highly recommend every Hippie collector to have an Exotica in their collection before commercial growers take it out of production. It is an old variety that may be replaced by newer peach flowering ones like Apricot Parfait with bigger and prettier flowers that get a better price in the cut flower market.

Kristi...It is good to take notes of all pollinations, both successful and not. The failed ones will likewise teach you.

Donna...If it's meant to be it's meant to be. 5 weeks from pollination is all you need. Seeds with healthy embryo will germinate at this age.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 12:51

11 years ago

Hi,

Well, my Exotica x papilio finally had one crack in it and I could wait no longer so I opened it! There are about 40 well formed seeds with a visible embryo. There were no pock marked seeds, just lots of chaff. The outer layer of the seeds vary in color from black to brown. I have about 10 seeds that are black and the rest are various shades of brown. I have had brown seeds germinate for me before so I am hopeful. But if not, then I at least have 10 or so to play with.

I always knew that Exotica set nice healthy seeds but never knew she was so versatile. That's very useful information Maria, and that is why we need you to continue to check in on the forum more often as we always learn from your sage advice...Thanks,

Donna

Here are my seeds, Exotica x papilio:

{{gwi:393748}}
    {{gwi:393749}}

I usually let seeds dry for one day and then I start putting them in water...

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Donna, that should be an exciting cross! It will be interesting to see the variation. Too bad we have to wait so long to see the outcome! Hopefully within the next year I'll get settled into a new home and then I can get more into creating crosses and have more room for my plants! I've tried to keep my CHAD under control by reminding myself that along with all my other junk, I'll have to move every dang pot of bulbs when I move. That has definitely curbed my spending this year (also, I've been working 100- 120 hours every pay period, often 6 days a week... that doesn't leave much time for fun).

Thank you all for letting me satisfy my hippie addiction vicariously through all of your posts and photos... even if I need to do it virtually! You all provide tremendous inspiration as well!

-Tina

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Donna, Cheers and Congratulations!

Just thinking of all the special blooms that may come your way in the future with your Exotica x papilio, Lavender Blue x PapExStasy, and Lavender Blue x papilio crosses is a delight. Blessings to the pods that are still developing!

Maria, you are going to bring bountiful happiness to so many people all over the world with those cybister crosses; whose seeds will carry your beautiful dreams wherever they grow. Warm fuzzies, Mwwwwaaaaaaaa, and Huggggssssssss!!!

-Blanca

• mariava7
    11 years ago

(((((((Blanca)))))))))

Happy spring to everyone!!!

Let's make beautiful amaryllises...

This post was edited by mariava7 on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 22:13

11 years ago

I have a coupe more seedpods that have popped.

No.0016 x Chico and, Exotica x Lady Jane x Dancing Queen. With 2 doubles in the lineage these should produce more doubles (I hope)...

{{gwi:393750}}

{{gwi:393751}}

Donna

10 years ago

Hi,

I just thought I'd show you how my Exotica x papilio seedlings are doing! They are doing very well with a couple of them larger than the others.

Kristi, I know you did this same cross at the same time and I'll bet yours are twice the size of mine but I'm really really happy with these!!

We'll be comparing flowers at about the same time in the next couple of years!!

Donna
    {{gwi:393752}}

• clancy1985
    10 years ago

It's lovely to see such happy seedlings - they look great Donna. Exotica x papilio sounds like a wonderful cross. I wonder what they'll turn out like.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna,
    Here are mine of the same cross, planted 5/13. Hard to believe that they are just 5 months old. Guess the guest bathroom has officially gone to the plants. Just found out I am having a guest in a few months, so I'd better do something about that....! Using dilute MG and they are under the special lights. I can give you the info on the bulb next time we talk.

There are about 7 seedlings in that pot and some are huge. I have 2 pots of the same cross.
    K

Sponsored
More Discussions