Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgebczynski

Greetings, willing to make some new friends in the area

rgebczynski
11 years ago

Hello there,
By a total accident I stumbled across this forum and was dazzled with all the topics and pictures. I'm quite new to growing hippeastrum, since it's the beginning of my first year, although I had loved these flowers since I was a child. And now I'm so obsessed I can't spend a day without giving them at least half an hour of my time and doing research online, and checking the bulbs for their health and progress.

It might be silly to say but I already have a small collection on my window. First is was hippeastrum Picotee bought on a market day just after Christmas, poor thing was there in the cold since early hours. It took a bit of time for it to show any signs of growth but right now it's beautiful emerald foliage catches attention, and two flower steams growing when I'm not looking! Also there are hippeastrum Minerva, which already has a nice big flower steam coming out. Hippeastrum Nanago, Rilona, Temptation, Flamenco Queen, Matternhorn, and Apple blossom. All of these come from our Uk seller Gardens4you which I love! The only exception is Apple blossom which came from RoyalColours and I'm a bit disappointed as the bulbs were small, dried up. Not showing any signs of life after two weeks. Gardens4you surprised me greatly as many bulbs although described as 26/28 came as lovely big 33! Now that's something I'd like to happen all the time. I'd love to make some great acquaintances here, with people with more knowledge and experience, and also just to talk and have fun while carrying for those beautiful plants.

Robert

Comments (11)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Hello Robert and Welcome!

You've come to the right place if you love hippeastrums!

We're always eager to have new members and we look forward to seeing your blooms in the near future. Sounds like you have a great little collection going for you already!

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    11 years ago

Hi Robert and welcome!

I agree with Donna, it sounds like you have a wonderful collection started. You are so right, the hippeastrum flowers are very beautiful and there are so many different colors and forms that you have to look forward to in growing your garden.

-J

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum Robert.

Be sure and post photos of your lovely blooms when you can. It's that time of year when there are plenty if blooms in the house, greenhouse, and/or garden.

Stay warm!
    Kristi

• rgebczynski
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good morning!

Thank you very much it's so kind of you!

For now I can only share the pictures of growing flower steams, which still are lovely on their own.
    I don't have any doubles, I saw a lot of the to buy online but... I don't really like them. They just look messy and lack the grease of the pure hippeastrum.

Rob

• rgebczynski
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tomorrow I will have 4 more bulbs delivered by post, Red Lion, Stargazer, Orange Sovereign, and a another Nagato bulb as I love the colouring.

The garden centre is very supportive, as my first Nagato suffered a bit in transportation, the bulb was very big but soft with bruising and red odd spots. Two weeks after planting its still dormant although other bulbs planted in the same time are showing leaves. The contact in the garden centre assured me that if nothing happens they will gladly send me a new one. How nice of them :)

Rilona, Flamenco Queen and Matternhorn are slowly showing leaves and some flower steams are pointing out.
    How silly exciting it is :)

Robert

11 years ago

Dear Robert.... Seems that you are definitely hooked!
    It can become an addiction quickly! Have fun and take lots of photos.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Hi Rob,

Hopefully we can change your mind about doubles.. there are a few that are must haves, Alfresco (extremely full and extremely fragrant) and Dancing Queen and the original Nymph just might change your mind!

Nymph:

{{gwi:393883}}

and Alfresco which regularly puts out 5 to 6 flowers:

{{gwi:393884}}

and Dancing Queen:

{{gwi:393885}}

The list of gorgeous double goes on and on so I won't bore you with any more pictures and, then there are the cybisters and papilio..boy are you going to have fun!

Donna

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Hi Robert!
    Yep, you are addicted. I plant mine in the garden after they bloom, it`s very warm where I live,and right now they are all starting to bloom.

Write to Royal colors about the dried up bulb, they are very good about replacing things. And sign up for their e-mails and like them on Facebook. On occassion they have exclusive offers or discounts and it`s best to know about those right away lol!
    Tally HO!

• rgebczynski
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Uh Alfresco does look so nice!
    I'm just waiting for my first blooms! Will take a lot of pictures!
    Thank you so much for these gorgeous pictures!

Rob

11 years ago

...and Alfresco has a very sweet scent too!
    K

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Welcome to the group, be prepared to be overloaded. The amount of knowledge here is absolutely amazing, and so are the people.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions