o
Bulb rot

Posted by virgilspells z9 La (virgilspells@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 18:32

can bulb rot be passed to other plants,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb rot

The cause of the rot, if it's something other than keeping it too moist, could I suppose. Fungus and virus don't usually cause rot, although I supposed if you have several bulbs with fungus and it spreads could. Narcissus bulb flies will certainly kill a bulb as the larva eats the bulb from the inside out. If you had a heavy infestation and many bulbs are affected, then I suppose you could consider that a spread of sorts.

What is the history of your rotting bulb?
K

o

I have three bulbs that are suspect, they went through a freeze while still unplanted, I am keeping them seperated and put cinnamon powder on the top area.

o

If the rot is due to the freezing, which it likely is, then no, there is no danger to your other bulbs.
K

o

I've just discovered that all my Amaryllis bulbs planted outside this winter are rotting. One bulb is still intact but red in places. Many of them have healthy roots. Are any of them salvageable? I have had them for over 35 years. I assumed I could plant them outside here in TN for the winter as they were always in the ground in Virginia. I am devastated as they were given to me by my deceased mother-in-law.

o

Ugh... This wasn't a good winter to try to overwinter bulbs outside. Did anyone else get some bulbs who could give you an offset?
K

o

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately I don't know anyone here that well, but I think the one bulb I still have may be okay. I've never kept them in pots but that is a skill I will have to learn now.

o

I would suggest that you dig them up and if the entire bulb hasn't rotted than maybe you could peel off the damaged parts and after thoroughly drying replant in pots and keep them on the dry side. If the basal plates are still intact and there are roots attached you might find that some of your bulbs will produce offsets around the basal plate much the same way a bulb does that has had its inside eaten out by a Narcissus Bulb Fly. If the basal plate as well as the bulb are mushy then I wouldn't hold out much hope but maybe you can salvage some ot them!

If you do dig them up, post some pictures and maybe someone else will have another suggestion for you to try.

I must admit that last fall for the first time after threatening to plant some bulbs out for the winter for years, I decided to give it a try. Most definitely the worst possible winter to try this. Mine are planted in front of a stone wall and we piled the mulch up to about 10" so the jury is still out. My husband is more optimistic that I am, but then he always is. Please let us know what you find when you start digging.

Good Luck,

Donna

o

Donna, I should have taken some pictures before I potted the few bulbs with any promise I am hoping you are right and something survives. I guess time will tell. Thank you for your response and advice.

o

I would keep the bulbs you did repot on the dry side. They will have a better chance of forming bulblets from the basal plate if they are not too wet. About 5 years ago my Aphrodite got eaten by a NBF and so much of it was gone that I just put it on a plate under a piece of furniture and sort of forgot about it. I found it several months later (that shows how often I vacuum) and there were 3 or 4 offsets growing from the basal plate! Today I have 3 bulbs that are pretty good size from this original Aphrodite and 2 are sending up scapes for the first time since this happened. I know it's not the same situation but there is always hope.

This is what was left of my poor bulb..so good luck.

Donna

o

Oh, wow. (LOL about the vacuuming!) Well, that gives me a lot of hope. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here