Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karanb1r

ALANA: Red Lion X Blossom Peacock

karanb1r
11 years ago

Like I promised, I have spotted a peeking scape coming out of the Red Lion X Blossom Peacock you gave me. The orange sovereign x moonlight got mixed in the bunch but im sure it will be recognizable when it blooms.

{{gwi:394026}}

Comments (43)

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Let the "scape watch" begin! I can't wait to see what the blooms look like... regardless of the cross! -Tina

• hippiezep
    11 years ago

Very exciting to see that scape first peeping through. The anticipation is almost as good as the finished product. Looking forward to seeing the result.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I've got one of Alana's seedling too, the same as yours so I will be waiting with anticipation to see what yours looks like!..Donna

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone that got a bulb of RA x BP, please post your pics here so we can compare!!!

Yeah I can't wait!!! It's an interesting combo!!!

• rene09
    11 years ago

My Sis has lots of her crosses blooming, only thing don' know what the crosses are. some of them are beautiful!!!

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:394027}}

today
    {{gwi:394028}}

ON A SIDE NOTE.- I think this is the orange sov./ moonlight
    {{gwi:394029}}

• dangles
    10 years ago

they look very healthy to me its exciting waiting on new seedlings to bloom for the first time last year I had 200 seedlings bloom for the first time it got me out of bed in the mornings I have even been known to go out at night with a torch to see if any thing new has happened I think I have the bug very bad lol have fun and happy growing danny

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

getting close...

{{gwi:394030}}

• hippiezep
    10 years ago

So it's going to be a May flower. The anticipation is getting to a fever pitch

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the final product!!! Opinions?

I dont see any stamens... and the stigma looks odd. possible to pollinate?

ENJOY!!! :) thanks again Alana!

{{gwi:394031}}

{{gwi:394032}}

{{gwi:394033}}

{{gwi:394034}}

{{gwi:394035}}

{{gwi:394036}}

{{gwi:394037}}

{{gwi:394038}}

10 years ago

Wow! Well how about that! Took after Dad with just a touch of Mom! A real pretty double! I would have expected much more red..goes to show you never know which genes will get pull out. I hope mine looks like yours, but it won't be blooming this year..maybe next year.

Alana doesn't seem to post any more but if you have her email I'm sure she would enjoy seeing your pictures...

I don't see any pollen unless there is some tucked under a petal somewhere so I think you're probably out of luck with any pollination plans.

Donna

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!!!

Yeah that's unfortunate and ill still dab some pollen, but I'm just happy it produce offsets at a quick pace.

I emailed her :) thanks for the idea Donna!

• e36yellowm3
    10 years ago

Hey KB, how exciting! I haven't been by the forum lately (just busy with personal stuff) but was so glad to get your email. Thanks for the heads up on this thread. I'm thrilled your bulb grew and bloomed. And I have to say, I just love the bloom too!! Those dark streaks are very cool.

There's something special about that Blossom Peacock bulb I have. Denver Ryan says it has strong growing genes - lol. The parent bulb just keeps creating bulblets. I do see some pollen tucked in the folds of some petals so I'm sure you can use that. Perhaps next year you'll get more pollen.

I also, finally, have some blooms coming up from this cross. I used to keep them in small pots and they never bloomed for me there so I put them in the ground and now have scapes emerging from the ground. I'll post pictures when they open. I'm hopeful I get one that looks as good as yours! Good job growing it - you've got the touch for sure.

I hope everyone is doing well. Good to see your name, Donna! I miss you all!

Regards, Alana

10 years ago

We miss you too Alana, try to post even if it's just occasionally!!

KB2 Yup I do see a bit of pollen in your second picture..I missed it the first time, you're in luck!

Here is mine, it appears that I have two main bulbs, one with 4 offsets and the other with 1. Going to be a while for mine though, these bulbs definitly do better growing in the ground.

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, May 3, 13 at 10:34

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I put all my bulbs in the ground and they grow much faster!!!

Thank you!!! :) I can't wait to see what other versions look like!!

• e36yellowm3
    10 years ago

Below is a picture of the Blossom Peacock bulb the pollen came from. KB, I think I might like your offspring bloom better! Is it fragrant like Blossom Peacock as well?
    {{gwi:394039}}From GardenWeb pics

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, its the best flower i own right now! I have offsets that I can send you if you would like! It is fragrant!!!

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

The bloom on your cross reminds me of a water lily. It is quite beautiful! -Tina

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks tina!! i got the same feeling!!!

• hippiezep
    10 years ago

Fantastic flower - I'm impressed by how much there is of the blossom peacock that has not been drowned out by red genes. I wish I had used blossom peacock on this year's crosses now, but they have all finished - they had very few stamens though, only one or two, so the pollen is pretty hard to come by. Look forward to seeing others from the same cross when they flower

• e36yellowm3
    10 years ago

I agree, HippieZep, I had suspected the same thing - that the Red Lion would be pretty much dominant. At the time I made the cross (2009) I had very few hippies and Red Lion was the only non-double one I had, so by default it had to be used. Since then I had never used Red Lion for crosses, thinking it was too ordinary. I'm really impressed at how lovely this bloom is!

KB, let's see what my RL x BP crosses turn out like - should be in a week or so. I might take you up on an offset - thanks so much for the offer. Ryan reminded me he called it "weed genes" that the Blossom Peacock had. (I send him an offset from the bulb a few years ago and he's now got quite a big cluster.) So your seedling probably inherited those weed genes - lol!

I'll be sure and post pictures when they bloom.

Alana

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Very pretty KB!
    Good growing!!!

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!!!

final product
    {{gwi:394040}}

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So one of the offsets also sent out a scape and after a few days it too flowered. But there is an anomaly.. looks like there is a stamen on the petal?

{{gwi:394041}}

{{gwi:394042}}

{{gwi:394043}}

{{gwi:394044}}

After a light drizzle
    {{gwi:394045}}

the following day
    {{gwi:394046}}

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

your thoughts? :)

10 years ago

Doubles quite frequently do this, nothing to worry about. I see more pollen here and there but I'm sure the flower would be seedpod sterile.

It's very beautiful and I think that like my self, with PapExStacy, you've had a great case of beginners luck! Make sure you mark this bulb well so it doesn't get mixed up with the masses...

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm still struck by how gorgeous that bloom is! The extra bit of pollen / stamen on the petal happens sometimes. Maybe also because it is its first bloom.

Well, the bulbs I have from this cross are also blooming for the first time and two just opened yesterday amidst a heavy rain all day. I'll take some pictures tomorrow when the third one might be open as well - but I'll warn you, KB, that you definitely wound up with the pick of the litter. I think I'd like to take you up on a trade for the offset. Perhaps for a mother Blossom Peacock bulb?

Congrats on your good luck and growing skills. I think you have a seriously beautiful bulb. Meanwhile, I'm going to be doing a little pollinating on my Red Lion bulb pretty soon :-)

Alana

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Donna!!!

Thank you very much Alana, for the bulb and the comment. I can't wait to see what other variations look like!! I will email you Alana!!

• hippiris
    10 years ago

These are just gorgeous, I'm slowly but surely being converted from a "species" girl....

• e36yellowm3
    10 years ago

OK KB, here are my pictures from that cross. I started with over 50 seedlings, gave lots away, lost some and some have not grown to blooming size yet. But three have, and interestingly they're all doubles! So here goes (and I apologize in advance for the condition of the blooms - we've had so much heavy rain this spring everything has really gotten beaten up)...

Two not particularly well-formed doubles (aka 'messy doubles') that look to me like a Double Susan. (Donna, remember the year all the boxed bulbs came out to be Susan?!! These reminded me of that year - when everyone said "not another Susan!") {{gwi:394048}}From 2013 AVs
    {{gwi:394050}}From 2013 AVs

I'm hopeful these clean up their act next year. And get a longer scape too. Or they're outa here :-)

This one was a ho-hum double red:
    {{gwi:394052}}From 2013 AVs

And while I was out there I noticed that the 'supposed' Red Lion seed parent I had used and now is prolific around my garden is actually not Red Lion. I was unable to ID it on any web site - it's got a gorgeous green throat (but no white markings) which I now know is not a Red Lion at all. It also has green markings on the reverse of the petals.

See if you can see the green throat on any of these pics: {{gwi:394053}}From 2013 AVs

and {{gwi:394054}}From 2013 AVs

So KB, I think you got the pick of the litter so far! Well done!

Alana

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did get the winning lottery, for sure!!! Ill be sending a mature bulb your way in a couple weeks! And a couple extras!

The red one is pretty though! That's definitely a keeper!!

It's cool how there is so much variation!!

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since its not red lion as the seed parent, we should give the bulb/flower you sent me a name!!!!

What should we call it????

Pink Double Surprise

Pink Blossom

Flamingo Blossom

PseudoLily

Pink Lily Blossom

Alana's Surprise

Double Alana

Pink Jubilee

Pink Double Trouble

Pink Joy

Idk Haha thoughts??

10 years ago

I like Alana's Surprise....

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alana needs to get her name in there.

So Alana's Surprise

Or

Alana's Double

?

10 years ago

...well, it was quite a surprise wasn't it?....

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hence forth this bulb shall be known as
    Alana's Surprise!!!!

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Very pretty results! Congratulations to both of you!!!

For those who do not know yet...Blossom Peacock is a Japanese hybrid bred by Miyake Nurseries, registered in 1997. It is one of my very favorite doubles for it's Lotus like flowers. A definite must have in ones collection. Like most flowers that "blush", intensity of it's flower's colors is very dependent on light exposure and temperature. Here is one of my Blossom Peacocks that bloomed in a cold January.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

double post deleted.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Mon, May 27, 13 at 21:52

• snarfie
    10 years ago

is the plant on the back trentino?

• snarfie
    10 years ago

double post deleted

This post was edited by snarfie on Tue, May 28, 13 at 9:40

• bunnynomnom
    10 years ago

This is such an interesting cross. I would love to grow a splendid hybrid like this. Thank you for the idea, Alana and the gorgeous pictures, KB. Is the bloom about the same size as Blossom Peacock?

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ty!

and im sorry i do not know the size of a blossom peacock, but i can tell you that its about 5-6 inches from petal to petal.

• karanb1r
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again!! I planted the blossom peacock and its already sending up leaves! :D