Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

H. Evansiae surprise

I got a call today from a friend that had just wrapped up a road trip with me. We went to a lavender farm this morning. On her way home she stopped at a nursery and called me....."they have these yellow amaryllis. Do you want a couple?" The were H. Evansiae from a reputable source so she picked up couple and I just picked them up. One had two spent scapes and the other pot is just getting ready to bloom. What a nice surprise!!
K

Comments (24)

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Very nice score! What was the cost of the bulbs, if you don't mind me asking? -Tina

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

$11/pot
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Ohhh Lucky you! Please post pictures when they bloom!

Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

One has already bloomed but the other bulb should bloom soon. Wonder if these will have that faint pink star in the middle...?
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

It's a good friend who will support another friend's hippie habit! *smile* I've had people who supported my orchid habit... but no one has supported my hippie habit yet! Please post photos when they bloom! -Tina

• npublici
    11 years ago

That's a very good buy! Especially with provenance.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the nursery has 2 providers of hippeastrum. I have bought from one but steered clear of the other as the leaves didn't look too good on the bulbs they had a couple of years ago (sunburned or _____?). These appear to be from the same source as my healthy bulbs purchased several years ago. No leaves yet so they are in quarantine. Friend said she saw no odd markings on the leaves of the bulbs that had leaves, so that is encouraging.

Will post a photo when it blooms.
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

The bloom has the same faint pink star as my other one. Bloom is opening slowly...
    K

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

Hi K,
    Is that nursery in Houston by any chance? Could you let me know which one.....
    thanks
    Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, it was from the Arbor Gate. They get them from the group at Treesearch I think. I can check the tag when I get home!
    K

11 years ago

Telos Rare Bulbs sells Evansiae bulbs, not for $11 though...

I just bought a couple of bulbs from them, haven't arrived yet, I'll let you know how they look but I've seen nothing but glowing reports on them.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Telos Rare Bulbs

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the bloom. Sort of windy today, so hard to catch a still shot.
    K

• bunnynomnom
    11 years ago

Wow, the frilly edges are so pretty, Kristi!

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I wish I could buy one for only $11! Do they require any special care (particularly fast draining medium, no frost, etc.)? It's like a cheery ray of sunshine! -Tina

11 years ago

Wow! I really like it!

Original Author
    11 years ago

I would have to go back and look at the advice offered to me. I think it was that they need to dry out between waterings and don't like to be too cold.
    Now that I have 3 pots, they will need special attention.

Finally getting quite a few yellows, with these, H. Germa, and 3 Komoriya bulbs.
    K

11 years ago

Well, your Evensiae is stunning. You'll be able to pollenate your yellows this year with your Komoriya bulbs..come up with something really special!

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

I hope you have fantastic luck crossing your various yellows! I would love to see more yellows here on the forum.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Tina,
    Have you made any crosses with this bulb? I have lots of pollen available from hybrids, but don't know the likelihood of it taking. I have one day to make a decision as these blooms should be fading soon.

Thoughts??
    Kristi

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi! I have not had the good fortune of owning a yellow-flowered hippie yet! So, I haven't been able to cross them. I would definitely be inclined to stay within the yellows for crosses, since it seems you have a selection of several yellows. I wonder if some of our more experienced breeders may have some advice! -Tina

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry... I thought you had several of these. Late night/ packing for a trip, so sorry I had confused you with another poster.
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

No need to apologize! I hope your trip was a smooth one! -Tina

Original Author
    11 years ago

13 hours of driving!
    How can doing nothing really physical be so totally exhausting?
    Guess it's the constant looking looking looking...

I'm here in Chattanooga with a couple hundred Gordon setters for our annual National specialty. My 2 are happily at home in TX!
    :-)
    K

• berkeleysgr8
    11 years ago

Yikes! That is a lot of driving! I hope you get a chance to rest up. I'm a hyper-vigilant driver... I just don't trust other drivers or the random things that can happen while driving... so driving long distances really tires me out. I sympathize with you being so tired! -Tina

Sponsored
More Discussions