Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radarcontactlost_gw

Don't give up quickly

radarcontactlost
13 years ago

Just a lesson in patience I thought I should share. I potted up some seed well over two months ago. I was about to give up on them as I cannot have one square inch of my greenhouse not performing. Well today the seeds started germinating. Just a good gardening lesson.

Comments (14)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

I'm sure it was the time change..they probably figured it was time to shape up or they'd be shipped out!! ;-)

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Good lesson in not giving up! Glad to hear your seeds are pulling their own.

Alana

• radarcontactlost
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was really hoping they were viable since I am really excited about this cross. Charisma x Pasadena. On top of that I think my charisma is giving up the ghost after making the seeds. It's just sitting there with no leaves and a gaping whole where the scape was. It's very sad looking but I don't know what else to do for it. So if it croaks at least it's progeny will live on.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Glad that you got your seeds to germinate. Being excited about a cross is always fun...too bad we have to wait so long to see how it turns out!
    K

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I noticed my 'Charisma' is very picky too... It is STILL leaf-less months after flowering! I just figured it was sleepy.. When it warms up I'll give it a nice spot outside!

Josh

BTW, these bulbs can be brought back from the dead, I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it sooner than later!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

I agree Josh, a little warm sunshine does wonders on some bulbs that had otherwise looked doomed. Not that I can blame them - I like summer too.

Alana

13 years ago

Last year I had trouble getting my Charisma to grow roots after it bloomed..it seemed to take months..and when it finally did I decided to let it remain evergreen and not give it a rest in the fall or pull it out of it's pot. It kept it's leaves all winter and it still growing them with no sign of it's blooming, but I know that when it does, it will sure be a sight for sore eyes..Charisma is a beauty.

I think I've learned a lesson this year as I left about 8 plants in their pots all winter and let them do what they wished and keep their leaves. From now on when I have a plant that refuses to root for a long time, I will leave them alone in the fall, it's too hard for them to keep re-rooting. Usually, I pull most all of them out of their pots due to space problems, this fall I am going to make other plans..that are going to utilize my husband's work bench with lights...now..just have to tell him...;-)

Donna

• cindeea
    13 years ago

You know, those are WISE words, Radar...Before Christmas, I pulled up some fading small, rotted & non-productive bulbs that rehab was not helping...I found the bucket 2 weeks ago, (I had forgot to dump it.) 2 of the bulbs have scapes...I'll crack up if one turns out to be my dead-beat Charisma!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna, I think your potted Hipps will bloom a bit later than the others, mine usually bloom in late March, April and some continue on till June! I think for good measure the 'cybister' and 'trumpet' hybrids would do well staying "potted" up as they're SO difficult to get going!

Cindee, I'm DYING to know what your bucket beholds ;)

13 years ago

Josh,
    My poor Sumatra is still just rolling around in it's pot with not signs of rooting..as you say, when this one roots, I will leave it alone..

As for my others that I left in the pots, all of them are sending up scapes right now.. my poor Estrela,(2 scapes) Amsterdam, Cherry Nymph, my very first just orange seedling,(second year it's bloomed) and my very first Party Pooper (not from the order) kept it's leaves all winter and bloomed for me last month! It's actually nice to see leaves along with the flowers instead of my usual barren flower stalk. My Blossom Peacock bloomed again 3 months or so as well as Aphrodite (both of which stayed in the pot with their leaves. And, my newly identified Desire stayed in the pot also and bloomed last month. The only other one I can think of is Charisma with plenty of leaves but she is still sulking...in fact, the last 2 weeks of Feb. and March look like it's going to be "high season" for me...Gervase is wearing 4 different faces on her first stalk..a very intriguing flower..

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, sounds like you've got a lot of blooming going. For the bulbs you're leaving in their pots, what are you doing to chill them? Do you keep them potted up in a cool room? Or do you not worry about chilling them?

Cindee, I found with Chico, the more I ignored it the better it performed. Maybe that'll be the case with your Charima too!

Josh, I've had problems with reblooming on the trumpets too - specifically Amputo. Think it would help to keep it potted for the winter? Any other tips?

Alana

• npublici
    13 years ago

It is rare for Hippeastrum seeds to germinate, in water, past a month,However,it happens.I have discarded the advice of retaining only seeds which float,because some of my sinkers germinated and made great bulbs.Seeds grown in other than water medium can take several months to germinate,much determined by the amount of moisture.The longer the seeds take to germinate the greater the likelihood that they will be attacked by fungus,dampoff,mildew and other pathogens.
    The use of intensive florescent light is very conducive to early germination and strong early growth.
    Del

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Alana,
    Well said "the more I ignore it the better it performs". I completely agree with you.
    Arif

13 years ago

Alana,

I just ignored the chill period for all my bulbs this year..I hadn't planned on it but I had too many bulbs and things kind of got out of hand and they all just sat in either of two rooms that were in the middle 60's..they all bloomed when they felt like it..some earlier, some now.. and some later..I do think we try too hard some times. All the fuss over my "dump tiny refrigerator" I never used it..I think we will take it back to the dump..

Next year I'm going to reassess my winter care for these guys and the ones that want to keep their leaves, I will treat as I treat papilio...

Donna

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions