Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Series II - Intense Bulb Surgery...

jodik_gw
15 years ago

Something Kristi said in another post made me take a closer look at my Emerald bulb, which has appeared to be asleep since I received it. It came in from Easy To Grow Bulbs along with Queen of Hearts and a few other bulbs, which have all bloomed. Some are on their second scapes of bloom right now. So, by now, Emerald should have at least pushed up a little something green.

Emerald felt rooted in, firm in the pot when I gently tugged at it. The bulb, itself, felt firm and there was green live tissue visible on the upper portion of the outer layers.

I took the potted bulb off the heating pad, and began to carefully break away some of the dried tissue at the neck of the bulb, and this, Figure 1, is what I found...

Figure 1

{{gwi:394681}}

These are the pieces of dead tissue I pulled away from the neck of the bulb, Figure 2...

Figure 2

{{gwi:394682}}

My heart sank as I looked into the gaping neck of Emerald, Figure 3, because I knew that the dark tissue I was looking at was rotten, and I knew I would have to prepare for surgery, and ultimately, to possibly lose the bulb.

Figure 3

{{gwi:394683}}

I prepped for surgery, gathering all the necessary tools, Figure 4, laying out a newspaper work surface, and washing my hands. I gathered together my craft knife kit, glasses, fungicide, paper towels, rooting hormone powder, paintbrush, and vermiculite and baggies in case I had to resort to cuttage.

Figure 4

{{gwi:394684}}

I un-potted the bulb and gently knocked the soil from the roots. Figure 5. The roots weren't as extensive as I had thought they'd be, but there were some healthy roots. At the time I originally potted Emerald, I had been forced to use a plastic pot and a more organic soil as I was out of some supplies.

Figure 5

{{gwi:394685}}

I took layers off the neck, hoping the rot didn't extend too far down into the bulb. Figures 6 and 7. Unfortunately, the rot was eating away at the buds inside.

Figure 6

{{gwi:394686}}

Figure 7

{{gwi:394688}}

I peeled the dried outer layer from the bulb and prepared to cut the bulb in half to see how much damage there really was. Figure 8.

Figure 8

{{gwi:394690}}

Upon slicing the bulb in half with a clean, sharp knife, Figure 9, it became apparent that without cutting up the bulb, I would never be able to eradicate all of the rot, and I would probably lose the bulb.

Figure 9

{{gwi:53201}}

I split the bulb into four sections, Figure 10, and scraped or cut out as much of the rotten tissue as I possibly could.

Figure 10

{{gwi:53200}}

Once I had the four pieces clean, Figure 11, I dusted them liberally with Captan, an anti-fungal powder. I brushed a little bit of rooting hormone powder on the basal plate areas, too. It's very important that each piece have some basal plate left attached.

Figure 11

{{gwi:394693}}

I prepared some vermiculite for the sections by moistening it. I placed some in large baggies, added the dusted sections, Figure 12, and after inflating them slightly, closed them and placed them on a heating pad with an airbake pan as a buffer zone.

Figure 12

{{gwi:394694}}

I wrote the date and the name of the bulb on the bags, Figure 13, so I'll know when I cut the bulb and which one it is. I'm heartsick over cutting up my Emerald, but I will hope that I've done the right thing and will possibly get the pieces to grow tiny baby bulblets.

Figure 13

{{gwi:53199}}

Cuttage is not an enjoyable procedure, but it is necessary sometimes... especially if you hope to save any part of a bulb with severe fungal rot and massive amounts of rotting and dead tissue.

Now, we wait. With any luck, each section of bulb will produce tiny bulblets, and the tissue from the mother piece will help feed the bulblets as they grow. I will try to periodically update this series, so any new growth will be documented, and everyone can see the progress... if there is progress.

If I have inadvertently left out anything, please feel free to add the information, or correct me if I'm wrong about anything. Thank you. I have documented this entire procedure in case anyone needs the information. I believe Kristi also documented her foray into cuttage and twin scaling... so anyone attempting this has plenty of good information on the subject.

Comments (15)

• bama_gardener
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jodi, sorry to hear about your Emerald. With all your expert care, she should recover nicely. Looking on the bright side, you will have 4 children to raise instead of one! My bulbs are coming along slowly since I had them outside all winter. But there are new leaves on all of them. Some are too small to bloom this year, but maybe I'll get a bloom or two.

• frank27603
    15 years ago

EWWWIE! That is NO good! Glad you caught it and hopefully it can be salvaged! Excellent documentation of the process. I would request a replacement just in case though.

-Frank

• e36yellowm3
    15 years ago

Jodi, great documentary on bulb surgery. After reading it I'm thinking I might not have gone as far as I need to on my mushy bulb. I'll keep an eye on it to ensure it stays dry, but if not I'll pick up at the "figure 10" part and get a little more aggressive getting to fresh bulb then go the vermiculite route. Thanks and good luck growing those bulblets. Good save! Alana

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

So sorry about your Emerald. But, trying to find a silver lining.... at least you caught it before there was no chance to salvage any part of it. In your expert hands, hopefully you'll have four blooming bulbs in a few years!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the encouraging words! If my hands were so expert, Ryan, I would have checked this out sooner and maybe caught the rot while it was still just at the tip of the neck... on the other hand, it's a wonderful opportunity to experience cuttage first hand, and get a feel for how it all works.

I've been extremely lucky so far... I've only lost a bulb or two, and out of such a large collection, that's really nothing.

Let this be a lesson to everyone... if you have a new bulb that looks ok, but isn't doing anything after a couple of months of trying to wake it up... be sure to check it out thoroughly, just to be sure there's nothing wrong beyond the neck and what you can see on the outside.

It wasn't as traumatic as I thought it would be... the bulb sliced nicely, just like an onion! And if I really want a new Emerald, I can probably get one next fall. No biggie!

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

GREAT JOB JODI! Thanks for the photo essay!

I took a good look at all of my bulbs that had refused to bloom or even put up good leaves this winter. Uprooted each to check on it, cleaned them up...threw away 6 that looked virused (They were probably bad to begin with)...some of the first years "Bargain bulbs". Others I peeled away the outer tissue and found areas of rot. IN every case, the bulbs that had not thrived and produced had some kind of rot situation going on so I Am glad I did it. A few had amazingly good roots but in some cases a previous stem had rotted off inside the bulb, or one had aborted and rotted. (Chaz, we need a maternity nurse here!)IN a few the base plate was so thick I Scraped it or cut it back. SOme base plates were covered with corky brown material and no roots. I have had lots of amazingly beautiful blooms this year, but the ones that did not were important parts of my learning experience and I Think will make me a better gardener. And sometimes tossing the bad bulbs is what you need to do! I saved one with some red on the leaves last year. THis year the leaves and Flower petals had ugly mottling of the colors. (I set it out overnight so it would freeze because I just could not toss a blooming plant with a good sized bulb!)

I think in every case these were "bargain" end of the season bulbs or from one specific place in FLorida that did not beleive in protecting their bulbs when shipping them to me (And whom I will no longer buy from).

• salpal
    15 years ago

Oh, poor Emerald! I hope you saved your bulb and will have many tiny bulbs in the future!

• pumas
    15 years ago

Great job there,Jodi Will most of these twin scale techinque cuttings make it? If I have any Hipps that need surgery I'll send them your way.You've got the clinic up and running already! Good Luck on these.It will be very interesting to note their progress, Peace

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Liza, maternity is my last clinical rotation this semester. We'll see...LOL

Jodi, great job on the cuttage. Don't be surprised if you get multiple offsets from each. The papillio that I cut last spring set bulblets from pieces of basal plate alone that had a good root showing on them. You'll have more to trade!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm very hopeful of getting some bulblets to grow from this experience. If I get more than one, I will definitely have Emerald babies to trade!

One thing I forgot to mention... don't forget to wash all your tools and equipment after surgery! Scrub or disinfect your knives and brushes, toss the newspaper work surface and get rid of any rotten bulb portions. Don't throw them in your compost pile as they are possibly diseased!

As I re-pot some older bulbs this coming spring, I'll photograph that process, too... perhaps I'll run into a tick basal plate or two, and I can do a series on refreshing a bulb!

I just hope that keeping the bagged pieces warm and dark will amount to new babies! Thanks very much for all the encouragement!

• hatta
    15 years ago

This is great! Thanks Jodi! Keep it coming and please report the progress ... am I asking too much? LOL!

Hatta

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Great work Hippi Dr. Jodi!!!

Jan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you... I'm happy to share each and every aspect of growing my favorite plant; Hippeastrum bulbs and other Amaryllids! If any little piece of information I share can help one person, then it was all worth it!

From time to time, I'll post updates. It will no doubt take quite a while before any growth begins, so I must have patience. The good news is that most Amaryllids are resilient, real survivors... so the prognosis is good. There should be tiny bulbils beginning way before summer is ending!

• java_j
    14 years ago

Any updates?

My cuttage of Estella is showing promise. One piece has a leaf long enough to reach the top of the bag.

I don't know what to do next. It can't stay in the bag much longer.

The pictures in the link below are from mid-July.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe I'm Amazed - Estella

• larschar
    14 years ago

I forgot all about this post! I AM anxious to hear what happened. How many babies did you get, Jodi?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions