Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_o_gw

My 2008 seedlings are starting to bloom!

jackie_o
13 years ago

Minerva x Dancing Queen. It's so fun when they start to bloom!

{{gwi:394879}}

{{gwi:394880}}

{{gwi:394881}}

{{gwi:394882}}

{{gwi:394883}}

{{gwi:394884}}

{{gwi:394885}}

{{gwi:394886}}

Comments (20)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Very Nice Jackie :) I especially love the last two photos!!!!

Josh

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Dancing Minerva! How cool you got a double from it! Very nice.

Alana

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Good enough to start an addiction.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Wow!! Very nice..I really like the single one at the end...a real beauty..they're all beautiful..no doubt who the daddy is in these seedling. Keep the pictures comming..

Donna

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dancing Minerva! I love it! Thanks guys!

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

Those are beautiful. Congratulations.

• phyllis8483
    13 years ago

I'm so jealous. You have some very beautiful flowers. Good shots.

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

A bulb with two bulb-lets in a drinking glass and doing well, makes me think, may be I am wasting Too much potting space.
    Jackie, is it a temporary pot or you grow them as a routine in small pots?

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Arif I'm thinking the same thing now that all of these seedlings are blooming. I just have too many (over 300) and can't bear to throw any out until I see them bloom. I live in zone 5, where the winters are long and very cold. I don't have a greenhouse, so all of these seedlings are on my windowsills.

These 14 bulbs that are blooming or ready to bloom now have been in those cups for two years. Half of them bloomed for the first time last year (seeds started in 2007) and now they're blooming again. One bulb even has TWO scapes coming up.

I'm thinking that as long as there is a steady supply of water and nutrients (I use weak fertilizer each time I water) that they really don't need that much soil (or roots). I'm sure others will disagree, but until my bulbs prove otherwise to me, I think they don't need to have enormous root systems to bloom.

13 years ago

Oh Jackie, You and I are in the same boat!! Living up North..long cold winters..no greenhouse..and hundreds of bulbs and seedlings and bultlets on every window sill and every available surface space in the house!!

I too noticed your healthy seedling with bublets in a coffee type cup! Good thing about using small cups like that is you CAN fit them on window sills!

Your blooming seedling are an inspiration to all of us..mine have another year or more to go..

Donna

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

HANS-WERNER once had a pot filled with 16 bulbs side by side, (Amaryllis Questions, May 19-2005).
    Hans what was the result?

• haweha
    13 years ago

These were and are, as suggested previously, balcony boxes of 50 cm in length. For example H.papilio x "Pink Floyd"

These were beautiful, but I considered them inferior to "Striped Panther" due to their low flower count per scape (2 to 4) and absence of fragrance. Thus, I neglected them - they were placed outdoors where they would be exposed to rain, and they became gradually damaged and eventually destroyed by mites/red blotch.
    {{gwi:394887}}
    Now, as I watch the picture I become sad ;)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Hans, I'm very sad too! I LOVED those flowers!!! Before you make a decision like that you should share the wealth! ;)

Josh

• primeribs
    13 years ago

Very Nice Jackie! The second & third are my favorite!! Are they the same flower?

13 years ago

Hans-Werner..that's just too sad..... ;-(

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Once I dumped my surplus bulbs in a 6 inch high 2-1/2 feet diameter seed pot, placing them side by side and covering them with garden soil and left it in a partly shady corner. Regular watering without feeding produced a spectacular display of blooms. A friend liked it so much that I gave it to him so I have no idea of long term effect.
    I am thinking of over stuffing some pots to see long-term effect.

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Like Hans I have several window boxes full of seedlings. The window boxes are heavy and hard for me to transport in and out in the summer and winter. It's so difficult to separate the bulbs when the roots all grow together as well. That's why after the nightmare of separating this group, I put them in the individual drink cups. It's worked very well and makes it so much easier if I want to pull one out for any reason.

As a side note, I do put my bulbs outside in the open sun/wind/rain. I haven't had any problems with rot or mites (over ten years now), but I have had the narcissus bulb fly wreak havoc, and I find that they attack the open soil of the window boxes and have not bothered the bulbs that are in the drink cups. I think they like all that loose open soil to burrow into. Just FYI.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Those are totally cool! I have been inspired by everyone here to finally pollinate and then start the seeds. I have a flat of Moonlight seedlings and a flat of lemon-lime seedlings now with more seeds ready for me to put them in next day off.

Mine are mostly in large pots or the ground, I didn't even bring any of them in this winter despite our record freeze, I know so bad of me, didn't even cover the poor things, but they suffered no ill effects.

Here the amaryllis planted in yards are starting to bloom.
    Tally HO!

• hippiezep
    13 years ago

Very nice. I have just had my first blooms from crossed seeds in the last week, some 2008 and some 2009. However, although they were from a variety of parents, they all seemed to turn out dark red

• jay83
    7 years ago

Jackie, Did you keep ALL of your amaryllis seedlings in a windowsill from germination to first bloom? if so, did you keep them evergreen all year every year?

Sponsored
More Discussions